Topic

your Ursack upgraded to Interagency standard

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) your Ursack upgraded to Interagency standard

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

Not sure if this has been posted before, but just in case it has not….

Ursack is offering to upgrade previous model/unapproved Ursacks by sewing again with spectra threads to bring your sack up to Interagency Grizzley Bear Committee approved standard for 4.25 plus postage:

Ursack Retrofit
    3 0 0

$4.25

MUST BE ORDERED SEPARATELY–DO NOT INCLUDE RETROFIT WITH ANY OTHER PRODUCT.

Retrofit Ursack S29 AllWhites to IGBC specifications. Available for AllWhites sold before April 2014. What you are buying: 1) the addition of the appropriate number of Spectra thread side seams, and 2) a seam label indicating IGBC certification. AllWhites purchased after April 2014 already meet IGBC standards. Retrofitting is not available for any previous models: if your Ursack is green, beige, or yellow it cannot be retrofitted.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Ursack update page

Still no word from Yosemite.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Guess I should sell my TKO then. Only use a canister when required and the green thing isn't approved where I'll need it, no issues with bears. 40+ years test in progress. However, have not skinned enough mice to make even a glove yet.
    Duane

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Great price and well worth getting.

Bradley Danyluk
    BPL Member

@dasbin

I asked them about options for those of us outside the USA (I'm in Canada) and unfortunately they weren't willing to help at all, even though I offered to pay whatever extra necessary to sort out the shipping etc.
    The only way they are doing this is by the USPS prepaid envelope, which I'm quite certain is domestic only.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Bradley,

Have them "Return" it me.

I'll send it to you the cheapest way possible.

greg attt smgm dott org

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Sent mine out today. Will reply here when I get it back. The web page stated postage needs updating for starters.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

I got mine back before posting this thread. It looks good. Took about 2 weeks total.

billy

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Why not have said in your OP?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Got mine back on Friday. Super fast turn around considering it went across the country. They certainly added a bunch more stitching to the top and side seams. Happy consumer.

Stephen Murphy
    BPL Member

@sjtm

His instructions are detailed but still a little confusing. Can you tell me exactly what size envelope you used to mail it and what size for the prepaid return (if different? Thanks.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Unfortunately for those of us who live in California, I don't think we can use an Ursack in the National Parks in the Sierra Nevada Mountains — unless something has changed very recently.

HJ

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

I think it was a 8 1/2 x 11 envelope with another one inside. My wife sent it off for me.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

"His instructions are detailed but still a little confusing. Can you tell me exactly what size envelope you used to mail it and what size for the prepaid return (if different? Thanks."

I just took it to the post office… up at the counter I explained to the postal worker what I wanted to do… she pulled out two envelopes, put the postage on and I paid.
    Don't make it too complicated.

billy

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

"Unfortunately for those of us who live in California, I don't think we can use an Ursack in the National Parks in the Sierra Nevada Mountains — unless something has changed very recently."

Most of the Sierra lies outside the National Parks… and fewer people in those areas, generally. The entire east side of the Sierra is outside the National Parks. Inyo National Forest allows the Ursack.

Billy

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Most of the Sierra lies outside the National Parks… and fewer people in those areas, generally. The entire east side of the Sierra is outside the National Parks. Inyo National Forest allows the Ursack.

Good point. But in those areas I can use my older green Ursack. No need to buy a newer S29.

HJ
    Adventures in Stoving
    Hikin Jim's Blog

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools