Topic

The ‘Wild’ effect Hikers are flooding the Pacific Crest Trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion The ‘Wild’ effect Hikers are flooding the Pacific Crest Trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

http://mashable.com/2015/05/17/pacific-crest-trail-wild-effect/

Sixteen years ago, a handful of veteran hikers began hanging out at Lake Morena County Park east of San Diego around mid-April, the time they knew people would be beginning their treks along the Pacific Crest Trail.

The trail runs 2,650 miles from the Mexican to Canadian borders, and the county park is one of the first places hikers stop if they begin at the southern end.

“It was a few former PCT hikers sitting by the trail offering people who passed by a beer and a burger,” said Carl Siechert, one of those veterans.

In that first year, 29 hikers passed through.

This year, there have already been more than 1,000.

The Pacific Crest Trail has seen such an explosion in popularity in the last few years that its cause has been given a name: “The ‘Wild’ effect.” Cheryl Strayed’s bestselling memoir about hiking the trail was published in the spring of 2012, and the film version starring Reese Witherspoon came out in December of last year.

Before the book was published, about 300 people would take out permits to attempt the full hike, which usually takes four to five months. It’s not yet known how many will try this year, but estimates range from 1,600 to 3,000 — 10 times the number who tried before the book came out.

more at link …

Michael Gunderloy
    BPL Member

@ffmike

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

Back when I went I 1983 I don't remember anyone specifically hanging out to see hikers off. I also don't remember a single permit being needed but that may have been an oversight. I also don't remember the whole trail name thing or trail angels. However, there were some good people that helped out along the way and were truly angels in their own right. I ran into some the same hikers along the way, most notably Jerry and Larry, but it was a trail less traveled that's for sure.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Old news. And?

I mean why do you think they imposed departure daily limits if this wasn't going on?

How many will reach the end? I'll wager that a crap load will quit in the first few weeks.

Geez, I've seen people turn around on the northern section of the Lost Coast Trail, and it's only 25 miles.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

why hi there ken …

in addition to the article i posted which is from this month, another BPLer has posted a NYT article that just got published

in addition heres another recent WSJ article from this month

http://www.wsj.com/articles/call-of-wild-lures-newbies-to-follow-in-cheryl-strayeds-footsteps-1431039093

At a post office in Warner Springs, Postmaster Denise Banner has been working extra Saturdays to keep up with a surge in packages of food and gear that hikers send themselves for pickup as they move along the trail.

“They overpack every time,” Ms. Banner said about trail newbies with a note of weariness in her voice. “It’s a lot of hunting for packages, moving them around.”

….

Ms. Kimbrough said she did “a lot of online research, got a great first-aid kit and took classes” at sporting-goods chainREI Inc. to prepare for her thru-hike. “But you cannot really know the pain until it hits you in the face.”

now whether you find it "old news" or not is up to you

but the articles themselves are from this month from 2 of the most respected publications around

have fun counting those "turning back" if thats what you enjoy

;)

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

Might could score some gear at good prices at the likely bail-out points.

"Cash to take that off your hands?"

billy

Dave P
    Spectator

@backcountrylaika

I wonder how many years I have to wait before the fad blows over. Been planning since 2008 or 2009.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

But no one is surprised by the numbers. The powers that be have hired and trained Ridge Runners already. Policy has already been changed with the limits set on permit and departures. Kickoff was last month. In that sense this is old news. People bail every year fairly early into their hikes. There have been rescues already this season. With so many more giving it a whirl it is understandable that there will be larger than normal amounts bailing as well. I wonder how many will bail because it is so damned crowded. Even the Saufleys shut down. This season will be hard for many trail angles. Have read a number of accounts of their frustration and disgust with how many "takers" there are out there. It is not a good situation for anyone involved. Except those selling gear perhaps. Nice try with the personal insult.
    I was at the second and third ADZPCTKO. You could talk with everyone who was there.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

thank for the discussion ken …

there no insult intended … if one makes a wager for fun … then one needs to count those who turn back

why else would one make a wager if not for enjoyment?

if any "insult" was done i do apologize … miso sowwy !!!

as to crowds … i found these quotes to be most interesting …

The Pacific Crest Trail Association, a nonprofit organized to “protect, preserve and promote” the trail, has embraced the glow the book and film has cast. Witherspoon’s face is front and center on their website, and one click brings you to the film's trailer. The association published a special “Wild edition” of its magazine and helps visitors find hikes featured in the book and film.
    ….

While Major read a lot of annoyance about the “Wild” effect in online discussions about the trail before she left, “since being out on the trail hiking almost no one has talked about it,” she said.

“We talk about more immediate concerns — where the next water source is, how far to the next town, what we're excited about eating. Once you're actually out here hiking the miles that will take you from Mexico to Canada, the off-trail trail drama fades away.”

if youre not aware there has been quite a bit of popularity in the last few years for climbing with honnold, as well as the lastest dawn wall climb which was a major news item itself

while climbing is likely quite different from the PCT … the underlyng problem remains …. how do you deal with large influx of new folks to a sport with limited natural resources

have a nice week outside ken !!!

;)

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

Last year was my first serious year of being a trail angel. In the past I've spent half a day here and there helping out, but nothing serious. Last year I car camped on the trail 50 trail miles north of the Columbia River. This was the middle of August. In those 4 days my buddy and I fed 46 hikers. I'd say 30 were thru-hikers and the rest section hikers.

I'm concerned on how to determine how much food I'll need this year. Granted…I hope a lot drop out early. I will be hiking from Crater Lake to the Columbia River (321 miles) July 10 – 26. Schedule wise that's ahead of the average thru-hikers, but maybe I can get a feel….I don't know.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Has the "trail angel" and support phenomenon become so established that hikers expect and even rely upon it?
    Seems like too much of a good thing might become a bad thing.

Sean Westberg
    Spectator

@theflatline

In a weird, cynical way, if you ultimately want PCT numbers to stay relatively low in the long term, this year is as good as any for there to be a blow up on the trail. I peek at it out of morbid curiosity (there's no way I could take the time off at this point in my life) and it looks like water is an issue. Which makes sense because California here is pretty much char-broiled.

People who turn back because of the water conditions are going to complain about those water conditions to other people. I'll be curious to see if this represents a spike in popularity or a more long-term swell. 2017 will be an interesting year for the trail period.

George F
    BPL Member

@gfraizer13

Locale: Wasatch

Good point, but it may go the other way as well. A dry year will make for an easier Sierra crossing. Typically post Sierra is where a lot of people leave the trail, with a faster, easier time of it a higher prrcentage may be ready to push on.

Gerry B.
    BPL Member

@taedawood

Locale: Louisiana, USA

Earlier this month I hiked my annual 27 mile loop Eagle Rock Loop in the Ouachita National Forest in Arkansas. I have done it approximately ten or eleven times. However, this year there were probably 50 to 60 hikers on the trail in contrast to the usual 10 to 20, nearly all of whom had packs that must have weighed 40 lbs. or more and they looked miserable. I could tell they thought I was a freak with my 15 lb pack. Not only do I credit/blame the movie "Wild" but I credit/blame REI for selling the traditional weight backpacking mentality. Even though I have been a member of REI since 1976, I regret that they and the greater "we" have not done a better job of convincing folks that 40+ lbs of so-called "lightweight" items still adds up to a heavy pack and is definitely not necessary. Oh well, just venting….do not mean to be preaching to the choir!

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

The PCT might become a pilgrimage trail, like the Camino de Santiago. There are people who have successfully completed the PCT with little or no backpacking experience, which may encourage others.

I don't know if the PCTA mission is a good thing — seems the trail becomes more important than the wilderness areas it passes through?

Water caches are sometimes posted on the PCT water report. Experienced hikers usually tell hikers to assume caches will not have water, but hikers ask me if there is water at so-and-so cache. Also thru-hikers text each other on conditions, caches, etc.

I have been on sections of the PCT this year, where supposedly 50 people per day started. I bet the most I saw on any one day was maybe 20. Perhaps the numbers are overly optimistic?

We cannot credit/blame "Wild" or REI for heavy packs. I don't think "we" should convince anyone that light is better — sounds like a religion to me.

If we want to blame something then it would be the Internet, blogs, Facebook, etc. But then those things are what our modern society wants.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

This year 50% of the people to attempt a thru-hike of the Condor Trail have dropped out. That means there is only one person left. If you want a solitary hike with minimal trail angel support, you might consider the Condor Trail. Keep in mind it's not really a trail yet. You should bring a saw or some loppers. Also, it's best done in late fall, winter and early spring. It's kinda late to be doing it now, but it has been unseasonably cold.

Sean Westberg
    Spectator

@theflatline

To be fair the condor trail is a pretty serious trail.

There's alternatives to the JMT and PCT out there. And as much as I'd like to see that land with my own eyes, I'll settle for an alternative if it helps keep the land healthy.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Many are following the updated "Wild" packing list too (just looking at some of the gear lists there's traditional to UL). Anecdotal, but meeting a few cpls coming off the PCT early due to last summers fire season, most had 80-110 L packs … one I saw packed city slacks, vest, leather shoes, and white collared shirt. Just to add that's fine if people want to carry a lot, but it seems to make it tougher to stay on a trail carrying more junk.

Brian B
    BPL Member

@brianb

Locale: Alaska

If we're giving out permits, I wonder if a permit to be a trail angel would be helpful. While that goes against the spirit of trail angeling, I've seen four or five 12-packs of sodas left just a little ways in from a road with a note asking people to pack out their trash — presumably, the last person was supposed to pack out the cardboard and note(?)

sprite

In some ways I feel bad for the people over at PCTA — they're never going to make everyone happy. They do seem to have an outsized role, however, with a lot of power and decision-making landing in their laps. It's everyone's trail but PCTA is guiding much of the policy.

Gerry B.
    BPL Member

@taedawood

Locale: Louisiana, USA

"We cannot credit/blame "Wild" or REI for heavy packs. I don't think "we" should convince anyone that light is better — sounds like a religion to me."

Nick,
    I agree that the word "convince" was a poor choice of words and to some, could smack of religion. However, it seems to me that most traditional weight backpackers I have encountered over the years do not believe that lightweight or ultralight backpacking could possibly be comfortable/enjoyable or doable for them. IMO, "we" who do enjoy lightweight/ultralight backpacking have a lot to offer to traditional backpackers IF AND WHEN they express an interest in going lighter.

During my years of work in scouting I have had much success (and some failures) in encouraging parents to consider lighter weight gear for their kids. And when I see a scout backpacking with a BIG smile and a "NOT-TOO-BIG" pack, I am rewarded with joy that's hard to describe.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

A lot of people that I come across just don't know any better. They go to REI, they assume that REI must be "state-of-the-art," and they assemble their gear therefrom.

I went on a Sierra backpack last year with a group. One 60+ year old woman was just getting into backpacking. She had taken a class at REI, and this was her first real trip. Her pack had to be at least 15 lbs (if not 20 lbs) heavier than mine. She just had no idea that there was any other way to pack. It's not that she had considered UL and rejected it; it's more that she didn't know UL existed.

It also takes a fair investment of time to assemble a UL kit. One cannot simply walk into an REI and assemble a UL kit in one pass. I've been dropping weight stage by stage, progressively, over time. It's taken a lot of research — and a lot of trail and error — as well as money to lighten up. A lot of people won't invest that kind of time and money into backpacking. They go to REI, pull some "off the shelf" gear together, and out into the wilderness they go.

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving
    Hikin' Jim's Blog

Dave P
    Spectator

@backcountrylaika

The biggest barrier I see is not so much the gear list for Wild, or REI.

It's more like by the time people ask for help, they already bought everything and they don't understand why they have to replace them. They are right to a certain extent, but they don't really seem to realize the vast majority of the products on the market at the local hiking store are meant for boat-camping or car-camping.

I know. I tried to assemble a decent hiking kit at my local Wholesale Sports. In order to pull off an ultralight kit, I had to consider minimalism, and taking Townsend Whelen's recommendations into consideration. But from what I have seen, most of the customers don't have a list and they buy everything they see in the "survival gear" aisle. Half of the survival gears I have seen people buy are meant for fishing boats, not hiking or camping.

So, the one stop shop experience really does mandate carrying a list, or if it's too tempting to buy what the consumer thinks they need oppose to what a person actually need.

If I wanted the UL experience, with the luxuries at minimal weight, I would have to drive about two to three hours away from here where they have dedicated hiking gears.

But to be honest, lightening up comes with experience. The more often one is outside, the more likely one is going to consider upgrading.

Terry Sparks
    Spectator

@firebug

Locale: Santa Barbara County Coast

I don't think you would want the gear most early drop out are (were) packing, unless you like REI stuff.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

An educated consumer is the best customer. If one is not going to do a small amount of research they deserve a heavy pack, a hurting body, and a hefty credit card statement. Especially with the internet.

Frank T

@random_walk

Locale: San Diego

I don't think you would want the gear most early drop out are (were) packing, unless you like REI stuff.

Or guitars. That's the only item I've seen explicitly identified as being abandoned at the first opportunity.

Well, that and Crocs.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools