Topic

Best Camera for Hiking?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Best Camera for Hiking?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 76 through 83 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    Michael Schwartz
    BPL Member

@greenwalk

Locale: PA & Ireland

Rick & Roger, Thanks for the extra info. I did note that when reading the specs on the cameras but your info has clarified the matter for me. Important to keep in mind. Cheers, Mike

Joaquin Garcia

@prometheusg

I know most of the responses here have been about stand alone cameras, but has anyone given thought to a camera phone? I know the quality isn't the same, but if you're really looking to lose some weight, it's a valid option.

I'd suggest a Nokia N-series phone, like the N82 or N95. You get a phone (of course), 5mp camera and video recorder, GPS with maps built in, radio, alarm clock, and 8gb of storage space. If you think you need it, you also get a high-speed internet device and music/media player.

If you opt for the newish N78 (3mp camera), or any of the forthcoming N79, N85, or N96 (all 5mp cameras), your pics are tagged with gps coordinates, too. Makes it easy to figure out where you were when you snapped the shot!

If you keep the phone off, and only turn it on when you need it (take pictures, use gps, etc), the battery will easily last well over a week.

They range from 3.4 to 4.5 ounces.

Price is the only concern. You generally can't get Nokia phones subsidized by U.S. carriers (AT&T and T-Mobile), so you pay full price. N82 ~400, N95 ~520, N96 ~850 (suggested price when it arrives in October).

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

Joaquin, your post has got me thinking.

N82 has a 5mp camera with Xenon flash. All that extra features sound great and the whole package is lighter then many 5mp stand alone camera out there. I would love to see a a phone with xenon flash and new geotagging capability.

What I am wondering is what makes a good camera. I really know little about cameras. Are stand alone 5mp cameras really much better then say 5mp camera phone with xenon flash?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

The size of the sensor and the quality of the lens are the two most important factors in determining the possible quality of a camera, not the amount of pixels. To illustrate, the first Nikon digital SLR (D1) had an output of 2.6MP, however it still outperforms the entire current crop of compact cameras (including the 10/12/14mp models). Its sensor (23.6×15.5mm) was about 15x the size of the one use by the better compacts(5.5×4.14mm), and of course it used the standard 35mm Nikon lenses. Compare that with the tiny sensor and tiny lens used by phones.
    Camera phones are for the happy snapper, for folk that just want a record of where they were but don’t care for quality nor intend to print the pictures.
    Franco

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

I can attest that the two cellphones "mit kamera" I've owned aren't fit for anything but gathering evidence for court, but I've recently seen some decent iphone snapshots–possibly good enough for 4×6 prints.

Just think: if they keep making cellphone cameras better, then they'll only have to figure out how to make the phone bit work in the mountains :-P

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

Thanks, Franco. Very helpful info.

I dont really plan to print the pictures, but I would sure like to capture quality pics to share here.

derek parsons

@neurotek

Locale: ontario

is the model i use. very happy. i may look at the g9 for next year. i'm looking into a lightweight tripod for next year so i can get some good shoot with longer exposure and longer shutter speeds. particularly nice when shooting running water and such.

i use nimh rechargeable batteries. i have both sony cycle engery and duracell and to be honest they both last as long imo.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Derek
    I think that the Sony batteries are the same as the Sanyo Eneloop. They should remain charged for longer than the Duracell, so you should notice the difference if you use them over a few weeks ( 6 or more).

By next year we will have a few compact cameras with a larger sensors (and interchangeable lenses) that will temp a lot of hikers. The first lot will be out very soon.
    Franco

Viewing 8 posts - 76 through 83 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools