Topic

How do you pack a Caldera

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) How do you pack a Caldera

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

I like many others have a Caldera Cone Stove, it certainly seems to be more efficient than some others I have, but packing it is a problem.

I have tried wrapping it around a sleeping mat, inserting it in a Nalgene wide mouth cantene, but …

How do you pack your Caldera?

Sven Klingemann
    Spectator

@svenklingemann

Buy the Caldera kitchen system. It really is great and compact.
    S.

Patrick Browning
    BPL Member

@optimator

I do this…CC1CC2

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

With due respect… but the Caldera system is not compact — not when compared to most solo "kitchens" anyway. It helps if one uses a hard-sided water bottle (to protect the cone) — but how many UL hikers use hardsided bottles?

Sven Klingemann
    Spectator

@svenklingemann

OK – let me rephrase. Given the non-compact nature of the windscreen, the kitchen system's protective plastic container is a lightweight (1.9oz) and secure way to store both the cone, fuel bottle and other accessories while serving as a measuring cup as well. And it has a screw-on lid as well to keep things in check.
    :-)
    S.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

OK – let me rephrase. Given the non-compact nature of the windscreen, the kitchen system's protective plastic container is a lightweight (1.9oz) and secure way to store both the cone, fuel bottle and other accessories while serving as a measuring cup as well. And it has a screw-on lid as well to keep things in check.
    :-)
    S.

but only if you use the smaller BPL mugs and their respective cones. My cone (for the SP 700) is considerably taller than the zip-lock container. I'll try to post a pic of a system I've had good luck with … later.

Sven Klingemann
    Spectator

@svenklingemann

You are right – the plastic container is nor made for all pots/mugs.
    S.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Roger, Im assuming you do not have one of the models with the ziplock screw-top container. So, just slide the cone flat into the hydradion bladder pouch of your pack. Takes up almost no room since it is a fraction of a milimeter in thickness. No bladder pouch? Roll it in your mat. I've done al of these, but typically volume is not my concern, weight is; and the Caldera system maintains convenience while being much lighter than my Jetboil. (I realize thats comparing apples and oranges to some extent)

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

I'm going to be far less diplomatic and more irreverent than Ben and go as far as to say that the CC is the LEAST compact system for an alcohol stove that I've ever seen. While I don't consider myself a hardcore ultra lighter, I can't see how it would even fit into my packing style in any practical way. I would never carry it and can't see what all the buzz is about. There, I've said it! ;) My 3 season stove and windscreen all easily stow in either my Snowpeak 600 or Firelite 550.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Pics of a SP 700 with its cone. I will be thinking of how I want to mark volume gradations on the yellow cup so as to do away with the measuring cup.tale of the tape

height compared to a ziplock jar

how it stacks

stove and fuel bottle still in ths cupready to cook

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

After considering the suggestions I realized that my answer was sitting on the shelf in front of me. 2 stubby holders. These are used to keep drinks warm or cold and will serve as multiple use, photos below. A spin sack is used to carry the stove, windscreen and fuel bottle.
    Caldera in a stubby
    Caldera unpacked

I also agree with Jason and Ben that the stove (or the windscreen) take up a lot of space.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Here's how I carried the caldera cones last summer in a photo essay. I worked with a team of 10 and we played with multiple systems. Here's an easy one.

This system gets a B- for a grade. Not bad, but we still ended up with some dented cones. The tyvec construction is just a scrap of old tyvec "paper" and some masking tape. These ain't fancy creations. They weigh in at 0.2 ounces!

Start with the CONE rolled up in a tidy shape. It want's to be CONE shaped. Tape it to hold the shape. Then – Take a scrap of TYVEC "paper" and wrap it around the CONE. Tape it up using some masking tape. Make sure to leave some "paper" at each end.

This TYVEC "paper" cone holds the aluminum cone nicely. Fill the interior with a bag of food to help hold it's shape and to keep it from being scrunched. Raisins work perfect.

1 - the rolled up cone fit's in the tyvec holder.

2 - the tyvec holder has an extra bit of "paper" that hangs off each end, this gets pushed and scrun

3 - same cone with the ends folded inside closely matching the dotted lines.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Ooops. Those are big images.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Mike:

If those images were uploaded from your computer, you can cut them down to size by doing the following:

1. Edit your post. You should see that each picture embedding includes two numbers — which dictate the picture's length and height.

2. Change the numbers. Divide each number by two or three — to size down the overall picture by one half or one third respectively. Be consistent with both numbers so the picture won't be distorted.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Looking at all your pics, this Caldera is looking like a monstrosity — on the size and scale of the Jetboil! I've known all along that the Caldera isn't compact, but I have no idea what it truly is until seeing all your pics!

Do y'all really go through this packaging contortion to get a 30-second quicker boiling time? Seriously?

I fit my stove, windscreen, fuel, lighter, towel and ti spork all inside my Firelite 550 pot. I suppose I wouldn't refuse a 30-second boil time improvement — but NOT at the expense of bulking up my kitchen size and weight 2 or 3 times over — or having to tear through my pack to pull the cone out of my sleeping pad…

I've also read that in some cases, because the pot rests on the caldera cone — the two can get stuck together after boiling — making it awkward to pour water out… No thanks.

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Right on Ben! It's almost like you have to carry MORE stuff to find creative ways to pack it!

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

What you get:

good boil times, superior stability, integrated windscreen that works better than most others

All that said, packed size is the drawback. If you're unlike me – Volume ISN'T a problem – then this system is great.

Todd

Anonymous
    Inactive

The caldera buzz has stimulated an interest which I initially suppressed due to the exorbitant price tag. The review here and the frequent threads that either mention or deal directly with the subject of the caldera cone has caused me to reconsider more than once my decision to take a pass. I am just amazed that the price of this thing has not been an object of discussion thus far. It is outrageous! Come on-$35.00 for a windscreen. Talk about arrogance. I wonder if much of the enthusiastic support for this windscreen comes from testers who received a copy at no charge. The outrageous price along with Ben’s criticism has reaffirmed my initial decision. I'll stick with my own personally manufactured stove and windscreen that cost me a few minutes of handy work and the price of a couple cans of beverage.

Ron D
    BPL Member

@dillonr

It's not that bad, I roll mine up in one of the tall Arizona tea cans (24oz) with the top cut off. I slide in the stove (I use a MBD alcohol stove) and fuel bottle. It doesn't fit inside of my pot but it's neat, acceptably compact and protects the Caldera. I also use the can as a cup some of the time. The Caldera weighs in at 1.25oz, the stove .5oz and the can at .75oz which is a decent weight to get such a solid cooking system.
    Ron

Sven Klingemann
    Spectator

@svenklingemann

OK – enough Caldera bashing here. Is it the best system for everyone at any time? Of course not. Is it the cheapest solution out there? No. By the way, people around here don't mind spending $250 for a 4oz bivy sac instead of $99 for a 7oz one. The positive feedback (including mine) is not based on some craze for the latest and most popular gadget but because we just really like it. Don't criticize something just because it has success. Nobody is complaining about people's enthusiasm for other gear. If there is a better (i.e. custom, more efficient, cheaper,lighter and less cumbersome) solution out there – be my guest. I promise not to hype it and keep it a secret.
    People – grow up.
    S.

P. P.

@toesnorth

Locale: PNW

Ah, don't get your braids in a wad Sven. Let the kids play.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sven,

Your response to my post is well taken and you are right. In restrospect, I should have just opined that it is a tad bit expensive and let it go at that. Another lesson in discretion. I am sorry. I value the opinions on gear, including yours, and the discussion here in this forum and certainly do not want to jepordize or diminish the quality of this exchange. To you Sven and everyone else here, please forgive me for these intemperate remarks.

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

The Caldera FAQ has pictures of various ways to pack it, including my own method of using a Clorox WipeIt Container. What I like about the Caldera system is (1) it works great, (2) it holds the pot super well, and (3) with alcohol you are able to ration your daily use and not need to overpack fuel. 1.5 oz of alcohol a day was sufficient for our needs and (4) of course, it works efficiently and it did not get so hot that the bottom of the pot turned black.

I have tried about 3 other brands of alcohol stoves/screens and none of them came close.

The Caldera FAQ is here:

http://www.traildesigns.com/caldera-help.html

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"Don't criticize something just because it has success."

Sven:

This is the gear forum. We LOVE to inquire, introduce, describe, question and debate gear — ad nauseum.

We all have our own gear selection criteria — both objective and subjective — and thus it's always safe to say that no one system is "best" for everything. That aside, it is perfectly legitimate, educational, and downright fun to praise as well as criticize gear pieces. The most useful criticisms are the ones that both state the positions and provide supportive arguments for or against.

I posted my responses only after reading many posts and seeing some of the photos. I also included my own reasons for being less than impressed with the system — i.e. in relation to my own styles and preferences — which may or may not be anything like yours.

But when posters react with words like "stop it" and "grow up" — I think that can really bring any exchanges down to the level of personal attack — even if unintentionally. Why do that?

Sven Klingemann
    Spectator

@svenklingemann

Ben – I was really getting annoyed mostly by the choice of words – including yours – i.e. "monstrosity", "Seriously?" "arrogance", "outrageous" etc. with regards to the stove. I don't have any vested interest in that stove or any emotional attachment to it but the comments came very much across as "how could anybody in their right minds buy this piece of gear?". My reference to its popularity was in response to comment about the inexplicable "buzz" (Jason Klass) and the "the enthusiastic support for this windscreen (…) from testers who received a copy at no charge" (John Kays). I thought that John Kays'reaction to my comment was thoughtful; your last post that "this is the UL forum" unfortunately reinforces my initial impression of your take on the Caldera cone. You don't have to like it, but don't tell me that (a) this is not a light and efficient system that very well works for a lot of people and (b) that my (usual)posts and reviews are not in the spirit of this wonderful forum. This is why I spend 16 hours per day on it, as you probably do as well. And you are right – maybe I should have left the "grow up" comment out. I certainly don't mean to personally attack anyone but rather value anybody's thoughtful input. I will replace it with "let's try and stay objective, fair and balanced while remaining critical". OK. Gotta take that wig off now.
    Cheers,
    Sven

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools