Topic

The Tullies-Puncture resistance for Alpacka

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Packrafting The Tullies-Puncture resistance for Alpacka

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

I was out in the tullies last week, afraid to get in too deep. I know the Alpacka's are puncture resistant, but just how resistant. What does it take to put a hole in one of these and what happens when you do? Anybody have the unfortunate experiance?

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

No idea what tullies are.

I cut a ~2 inch long slit in the tube of my Yak years ago, under the waterline a few inches above the junction with the floor fabric. I rammed a sharp limestone ledge very hard running whitewater. My boat went soft rather quickly, but I was able to paddle to shore without too much effort to assess and fix it. The leak being underwater slowed things a surprising amount.

In short, it takes a lot to put a hole in one.

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

Tullies are what we always called the swampgrass, cattails and such. The backwater areas.
    I figured the boats must be pretty hard to rip or I would hear more of it. Still, I'd hate to dump a boatload of gear.
    It makes sense that the boat would hold a certain amount of air. It also makes sense a bottom leak would be less of a disaster. Again still…Thanks for relating your experiance. It gives me a good bit more confidence.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Commonly known also as tules

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

Hardstem bulrush. Tules refers to a specific plant. Associated with cattails.
    I thought it was all inclusive. Tules are tules, cattails are cattails, though out in the tules in common usage means out in the weeds along the bank.
    Subject to correction. I speld them all rite. I knows it.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I have been using Alpacka Packrafts since 2004. I subject them to much abuse. I had a 1" slit puncture going through the Young's Creek canyon in the Bob. I put a piece of Tenacious Tape over the slit and used the boat for another 4 years before selling it. I routinely drag over timber and rocks. The bottom is almost indestrutable. You don''t need to worry about their durability.

David Beechey
    BPL Member

@imp

Locale: UK

Thanks for this input guys. It is reassuring me regarding the durability of my Llama. I feel I baby it too much but would rather avoid a puncture if possible.

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

Tenacious tape. I've been meaning to add some my gear. Good for boats too. Good to know.
    Gained confidence in my boat, a good tip on the tape, some plant science and I learnt to spell. Thanks!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools