Topic

Ruta Locura Sale/ New stove setup

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Ruta Locura Sale/ New stove setup

Viewing 10 posts - 76 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Hi Ross, since the JB pot's fins rests on the stove's support arms as is – if you're careful – I haven't yet gotten around to do any bending, though I will just for the sake of added stability. As is, if the pot is bumped it doesn't fall over, spilling everything, it merely sinks down on one side when one of the support arms slips between the heat exchanger fins…not a deal breaker for me. Also, by creating a greater distance between the burner and the pot bottom a more efficient combustion of fuel is achieved, that's the important thing. Happy trails!

DGoggins
    BPL Member

@hjuan99

Locale: Mountain West

OK…..if you raise the pot height up, do you think you can now burn at max power instead of med/low power (that gave the better efficiency before)?

Ross L
    BPL Member

@ross

Locale: Beautiful BC

Dan/Monty

Yes, you can run the stove at almost full bore without quenching when it is sitting on the heat exchanger fins as opposed to sitting between them. I just did a 2 cup boil in 2:15 using ~5 gms of fuel. Yesterday I ran 2 test boils at slow/medium in 3:45 averaging 4 gms of fuel.

Fred Robinson
    Spectator

@frobinson

Has the pressure regulator on the Jetboil burner been considered in any of these comparisons? How well does the BRS-3000T burn when the canister is approaching empty or in cold weather? For me, the improved performance under these conditions provided by the pressure regulator is worth a couple ounces.

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

According to an article by Roger C. investigating Soto's pressure regulator, it is just marketing spin…in other words, it does nothing except add weight. I would expect the same for JB's version. I wish a burner without the pezio igniter and pressure regulator would be made available.

Fred Robinson
    Spectator

@frobinson

Hmmmm…..pressure regulator is more than just marketing. I have used several butane stoves over the years and now have the jetboil sol titanium setup with the pressure regulator. The regulator allows faster boils when canisters are low, or at colder temperatures, and results in complete use of the fuel. Trying to burn all of the fuel out of a canister without a pressure regulator on the burner is a waste of time especially in colder weather. That is my experience. For me, the BSR 3000 setup would be best for short trips in warmer weather when I wouldn't be using much fuel.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Fred

> pressure regulator is more than just marketing.
    No Fred, it is 100% marketing spin and nothing else. The spin-doctor claims you have repeated have been thoroughly debunked, and anyhow they defy the laws of physics.

We do even have articles about this, such as:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/pressure_regulators_myth_part1.html

We (BPL) are not the only ones to have debunked the claims.

If you want more information about what might be going on in some cases, and how some people can fool themselves with their testing, read our article on Thermal Feedback:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/thermal_feedback_canister_stoves.html

Cheers

Fred Robinson
    Spectator

@frobinson

My JB SOL titanium works noticeably better with lower fuel canisters than my old JB system and other butane burners I have used. I have not quantified the difference, but I don't think its all in my head. I will read your article.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Fred, Roger is correct. All the regulator can do is negatively effect pressure, they cannot add pressure. Now JB *might* be using a slightly larger jet as one of their black magic components. This will supply more gas at low pressures. But simple physics dictate gas expansion, pressure regulation, etc. Otherwise cars would drive 100mi and have to be emptied of excess fuel. Personally, I never have more fuel than when I started. It just don't happen. Maybe JB switched to more propane in their canisters the same time they started marketing the Sol-ti? Don't know. Generally you will get a more even heat at any one setting. This is the same type as the regulator on your gas grill, though…just smaller.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Roger, is it any wonder why so many BRS3000T bent pot supports are showing up in HikinJim’s reports :-) Back in the day Ruta Locura was a big influence on the DIY crowd. There are 2 threads here on BPL that are influential to bending the pot support arms.

Look at the nice curvatures of the supports LOL :

pot supports

Viewing 10 posts - 76 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools