Topic

Flash Reviews No. 6

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Flash Reviews No. 6

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie Jordan
    Spectator

@maia

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Companion forum thread to:

Flash Reviews No. 6

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Thanks, Jonathan.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I like the links to the manufacturers sites. But the buy me links are lame. BPL has done the whole 180 now from the glorious days of old with no ads to now ads wherever you can fit them in. A quick search easily reveals where one can purchase. But then you don't make anything off that sale. Guess the ads here aren't working out so well. Or they work better than expected. Sad to see. My virtual two cents.

Really wondering what the new site will be like.

My take, who is My in these reviews?

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

How much does the stove weigh and how does that compare to similar Jetboil models?

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

How does the Fenix HL23 compare with the Zebralight H52W in terms of power efficiency, low-medium light performance and light color tone?

Can the Fenix HL23 take lithium batteries without problems?

What's the weight of the Fenix HL23 without the alkaline battery? A lithium battery will save some of that weight.

Thanks for sharing more reviews.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

+ 1 Ross – what are the weights of the stove components? How does the weight and performance compare with similar Jetboil models like the Jetboil Sol?

And does the convenience and fuel savings really justify what seems like A LOT of extra weight over a lightweight stove, good light windscreen and light titanium or aluminum pot?

Cotty Lowry
    Spectator

@cottylowry

I've used carbon fiber Komperdell telescoping poles for years in Switzerland and Nepal so with great excitement bought Black Diamonds last year — the first pair that fold down enough to fit in a carry on backpack or luggage. Last fall I took them to the Grand Canyon without using them first. Big mistake.

Within an hour, one of the straps had ripped off so I had to jury rig or abandon it. By the end of the second day I had developed excruciating pain through both of my forearms to the extent that turning over at night would immediately wake me from sleep, This happened at least 10 – 15 times each night. It took a while to figure out what was happening but my theory is the design of the grip which has almost no angle because the way the design saves space with a sliding grip in the travel mode, also causes the grip to pinch nerves in my wrists during long descents — like into the Grand Canyon.

It took a couple of weeks for the pain to finally go away. I have never been so glad to return something to REI yet so sad to get rid of something I wanted so much to work.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"… my theory is the design of the grip which has almost no angle …"

KompBD2

Komperdell Vario on the left, and Black Diamond Ultra Mountain on the right.

They look similar to me.

Was the length the same? Or at least the height of the grips above ground?

Also, for a lot of downhill, I extend my poles 2 or 3 inches to avoid "reaching" down for a pole-plant. Do you do that with your Komps?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools