Topic

How do you use bag as a quilt?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping How do you use bag as a quilt?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Yuri R
    BPL Member

@yazon

Hi all,
    Several people suggested using a sleeping bag as a quilt, but I must be not understanding something:
    – do you use it as under-quilt outside of the hammock?
    – If it is outside – how do you stay warm inside? I don't suppose you carry two bags as that kills the whole point of hammock as a light-weight alternative to tent
    – if you use bag as quilt on the inside – how do you not get cold on the bottom where your body is touching thin fabric?

I've got a Hennessy Asym and Marmot bag with full length size zipper and would like to use them as efficiently as possible.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"I don't suppose you carry two bags as that kills the whole point of hammock as a light-weight alternative to tent"
    Well most use a top quilt and an under quilt. Ground setup are lighter generally. But the hammock is more comfortable. If not using bug netting it is possible to use a semi-rectangular bag as a top and bottom quilt as you thread the hammock through the lower zipper.

Scott Koons
    BPL Member

@skoons

Yes, you would use a top quilt and either an under quilt or sleeping pad. My set up is typically slightly heavier than my ground setup. Though it is minimal in the summer when I use a 40* top and 40* under quilt. I don't bring a pad then which allows the setups to be slightly different in weight.

If it really hot, you could possibly get away without an under quilt. That being said, I would not recommend it.

Stefan Hoffman
    BPL Member

@sphinx

Locale: High Desert

I have never understood why people think ground sleeping is lighter. My hammock kit is hard to beat for packability and weight.

I simply pull the whole sleeping bag over myself in the hammock. This requires a somewhat small hammock (most any one man, it just needs to be relatively skinny) and a hammock with an opening at the bottom. No more wiggling into your sleeping bag, plus 360 degree, uncompressed insulation without a pad. A hood is pointless, use a hat. A quilt with an open footbox can work the same if you get the right girth and cinch it up. There arent a lot of bags like this out there, but they are available. Feathered Friends Flicker, Western Mountaineering Everlite, Sea to Summit Traveler.

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

Well, I couldn't do the sleeping bag over the hammock – I went to quilts before I came to hammocks, because I hated, hated, hated the sleeping bag. Hate zippers, hate the hoods on mummy bags, hate fighting with zippers at 1 am when you have to pee, just hate it.

I think my ground setup and my hammock setup are within a few ounces of the same, even tho I take a second quilt with the hammock.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"If it really hot, you could possibly get away without an under quilt. That being said, I would not recommend it."

Tell me about it, went hammocking with the spouse recently, with a low of only 64 or so, and no under quilt nor over quilt (just a down vest), and was surprised how cold i became. I run fairly warm, so i thought i might be able to get away with it. It wasn't so bad that we had to leave, but we didn't get a lot of sleep.

I'm fairly new to hammocking…obviously.

Stefan Hoffman
    BPL Member

@sphinx

Locale: High Desert

I have not been on here in forever. But just updated my hammock/sleeping bag system, so i thought i would brag about it. Its just like my profile pic but now with a new hammock and suspension system.

Sleeping bag: 14.5oz WM Everlite rated to 45degrees

Hammock: ENO Sub7 with Amsteel suspension= 9oz

With a my Arc Cerium LT vest, a nice wool beanie, and merino 150wt baselayer i have slept in a breezy 35 degrees without waking up cold. I would like to have some sleep booties though.

Now im looking for an UL wind sock to extend my range both up and down in temp. I could use it by itself when its warm and over the bag when its cold. Plus either the sock or the bag could stay bundled at my feet for quick deployment during the night.

This only works because i sleep end to end in a small hammock as opposed to diagonally. But the simplicity is second to none. It would work just as well if the sleeping bag was sewn up with no zipper, but i like that i can also use the bag as a blanket.

Mark Armesto
    BPL Member

@marmesto

Think about this. Ground sleeping in a tent means having a pad, the bottom of the tent, side walls, a canopy, a ground cloth, and surround sleeping bag. <u><b>Consider an overquilt and underquilt as two halves of a sleeping bag.</b></u> No pad. No ground cloth. Smaller footprint. Hammock does double duty as a comfortable chair. No chance of water entering beneath you. No kneeling to get in or out. No zipper to hinder exit for late night pee. When you get older, all of this matters. At least, get an underquilt. Enjoy!!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools