Topic

Trekking poles up hill adjustment

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Trekking poles up hill adjustment

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

In this case however what I was thinking about that original comment wasn't if it is the right or wrong way (according to personal preference) but if indeed it is possible at all.

I'm thinking the technique might've worked for someone in a very specific and narrow range of conditions but wasn't thoroughly (if at all) tested in other places to validate. Perhaps it came to someone as a "Voila! moment" in a hypoxic state 2/3 of the way up one of those 5-mile zig-zag passes in the Sierras. ;^)

Very few things work the same for everyone everywhere!

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Given that most of the people I see with poles don't seem to get any benefit beyond having a stick in their hand, what one person perceives as 'working' might be comically inefficient and poor technique to someone else.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Unfortunately, no pics, But I place the pole (I only use one) at my foot level, then help push up as I step UP on any inclines that do not require scrambling. Every step I repeat the process, not every two steps. I am always pushing up. NEVER in front of my stationary foot as in the picture Franco posted. I won't say Komperdel is wrong, just inefficient. It works for me.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Given that most of the people I see with poles don't seem to get any benefit beyond having a stick in their hand, what one person perceives as 'working' might be comically inefficient and poor technique to someone else.

Willie, I won't disagree with this. :^)

This is why I did a great deal of experimentation last year to see what actually did benefit me, by going pole-less, using them on flats, uphill and downhill, and timing some known sections while trying to maintain the same effort (subjective), both with straps and without. I did this on several short trips and dayhikes. Turned out I actually don't benefit from them the majority of the time, so I got the very light BD UD poles that I carry in my right hand most of the time. I usually employ them more for trying to knock down spider webs across the trail than for hiking.

I found that rather than using them on rocky flats where it is often recommended to use them to "steady yourself", it was quicker and far safer for me to concentrate on foot placement and not be distracted by pole placement as well.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools