Topic

Telescope Peak Conditions – April 29th

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Telescope Peak Conditions – April 29th

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Does anyone have an idea of the current conditions for Telecope Peak in Death Valley? Snow/Ice, do I need crampons? I'm heading there next week and don't have an idea on what this spring is like.

And yes, I went down there last December but the airline lost my bag and I wasn't able to go hiking…major bummer.

Thanks!

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest
    Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Thank you very much Mr. Paris! Looks like very little snow….will leave the serious gear at home.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Enjoy the spectacular view. We went in October years ago. Left the campground at 3 am and had the summit all to ourselves.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Thanks for the tips guys! Trip was super fun, and much faster than I had expected so we had lots of time to hang out in Vegas.

I made a cheesy little video as usual, watch if you bored :)

YouTube video

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Maybe it was on my end, but the narration audio wasn't nearly loud enough. The music did come out OK.

Also, it is pretty funny to see somebody smoking a cigarette on the summit. It must be a Canadian thing.

–B.G.–

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

+1 with both of Bob's comments. Had to crank the audio on the computer all the way up to hear you. And then quickly back down for the music. Too bad it was so hazy there for you.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Sorry about the audio. I used my gopro with the full waterproof case on it so it muffled all the audio.. Im sure there is a way to adjust the settings for music and audio seperately, but I couldnt figure it out after many hours. Consider it a valuable lesson learned…

The smoker is my buddy Jamie. He smokes more ciggarettes than anyone I know…he's Filipino, so its not a Canadian thing ;)

On the bright side, it was a blast to hike!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

There are many people making amateur videos these days. It is said that viewers will accept crappy video more than they will accept crappy audio.

Next time you go to Death Valley, try doing Telescope Peak the hard way, up from the desert floor.

–B.G.–

Dave T

@davet

Thanks for posting! Still haven't been up there yet, in all my trips to Death Valley. What a view!

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Bob. Good to know. I'm have even less skills than an amatuer so that's my excuse!

Dave, it's a super fun trip. Completely doable in a day with time to spare. It's incredible how close the peak looks until you try and actually get there. :) I'd love to do a winter trip up there next year…I'm definitely going back to see other parts of the park. Another funny thing is I never put 2 and 2 together with regards to the name Furnace Creek…Dang it's hot. I now completely understand why it is called that!

Dave T

@davet

Yes, I definitely want to do it with a good amount of snow on it sometime. But I'd be happy to do it anytime. I've been almost everywhere in DEVA, just never made it up the big hill (further than the charcoal kilns, at least). Did a 350 mile bikepacking tour out there a year or so ago. A great way to experience the park.

If you need any info on the park for a future visit, let me know.

And yes, it's hot out there. I was at Stovepipe Wells one summer and it was 125. And the Badwater to Whitney run was going past. Those people are crazy.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools