Topic

Lost cost trail: like hiking on sand?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Lost cost trail: like hiking on sand?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I'm thinking of doing this trail at long last. But I don't like hiking on loose sand. Given that this is the lost coast…but one person who's done this trail told me that it's mostly hard pack sand. His wife disagreed. She hated hiking on sand too. So I'm asking for input. I understand that about half of this trail is off the beach. I'm asking about the beach itself.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

"I'm thinking of doing this trail at long last. But I don't like hiking on loose sand."

Er… if you hate hiking on sand why on earth would you go for a hike on the beach???
    If you hate hiking on sand you're going to hate this hike!

Billy

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

The part on the beach is a combination of sand ( either hike closer to the water for a harder surface, but more sloped, or softer and less slope..) pebbles and cobbles. Not my favorite ground. The slope makes you work much harder on one side of your body than the other. It is beautiful and the cobble hopping must be good for your brain.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Hike the ridge trails or go to the Sinkyone. The northern half is about one third on real ground

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Thanks Billy for pointing that out…have you ever hiked on this trail? or just spouting like a whale?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Was on my 15 at work when I posted. I've done the hike numerous times. I really like the section from Mattole to Big Flat. This section has the most hiking on the marine terrace as well. I enjoy the hour and forty five minute, 48 mile drive to the trailhead over the Wildcat too if the weather is good. Pick up a pizza in Ferndale on the way home. A good way to spend the weekend. You can PM me or post here if you have specific questions. Speaking of whales there is one onshore along the hike now getting real ripe. Don't see that everyday. I think the last one to wash up was in '08.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I've only done the north section once. The "trail" is a combo of loose sand, firm damp sand, cobbles and some real dirt. You have to vary your route to select the best surface.
    Duane

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Thanks everyone. I do acknowledge that my question is slightly ridiculous; hence the subject line. I've read a number or threads about this hike and don't recall a lot of discussion about the horrible sand. I thought that maybe the surface near/on the beach was more cobble or firm earth, with stretches of sand mixed in. Ken, I saw video of that whale on the news. From experience I know that they stink pretty good. I'll look into your suggestions.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

It's a question worth asking.

I was somewhat surprised by many stretches of it. The southern half has constant elevation changes….the northern half is surprisingly tedious in places; beautiful, but definitely can be a slog in all the sloped, deep pebbles/sand. You tend to take firm footing for granted until you have to do miles on stuff like this.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools