Topic

Lightweight Backpacking News: Digest No. 14

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Lightweight Backpacking News: Digest No. 14

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie Jordan
    Spectator

@maia

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Companion forum thread to:

Lightweight Backpacking News: Digest No. 14

Dave G
    BPL Member

@dapperdave

Folks should be aware that he hasn't actually done the entire route that he is proposing (he tells you this once he has your $25) over at High Sierra Topix there is an illuminating photo of King Col in a low snow year, I would hate to come across this in more normal conditions without an ice axe/ crampons. Steve Roper had decades of Sierra experience before publishing his Sierra High Route, checking out alternatives and differing conditions and produced a classic route which has stood the test of time. It seems Mr Skurka did most of his route in low snow conditions and wants our money to "see what he's got". The pre purchase "overview map" is a series of pins in a google map. I have no problem with people making money for their expertise and experience (Roper, Nancy Pallister's Wind River Guide) but people with much more Sierra experience are seriously questioning his route choices re King Col and the Enchanted Gorge.

Dave

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

Dave – is there a link to a discussion about this on the other forum you mentioned?

I read his online article about this and never caught the fact that he never did the entire thing.

Thanks for posting.

Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

High Sierra Topix post.

This route looked really awesome until I realized it was the same miserable route through Enchanted gorge. Kings Col looks pretty nasty as well.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

The Clever Hiker video on "How to safely ford backcountry rivers" is very good. One of the few "how to cross a river" videos or blog posts that covered all the basics, demonstrated most of the key points well, and didn't say anything stupid.

— Rex

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Why title these with 13, 14 etc instead of a date? Like "Lightweight Backpacking News for the week of 4/15/15" Going to get real confusing and hard to look things up if these last a few years. Was #63 in March or May?

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Clever Hiker has stepped things up substantially in their recent videos. Good stuff.

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

This guy Andrew sounds like some sort of a joke except his tactics could be dangerous. Why is BPL promoting him?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Do more research Terran. Don't make your judgement based on one thing,

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

+1 On what Ken T. said

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

BPLs own Luke Schmidt's review of the Exped Lightning 60
    Here

Leave No Trace from LNT.org

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

While I'll give him credit for past endeavers and I'm sure that he is quite respectful, promoting a route that he has never taken does leave a lot to question. Besides once a back country route is established, it is no longer "back country". We don't need more road maps.

Eric Vann
    Spectator

@ericvann

Hi Ken and everyone,

We are in the process of rebuilding the BPL website and moving BPL to a new server. Once that is up and running we'll be better able to index the news digests by date which will make things easier for the future.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools