Topic

HMH – Windrider vs southwest?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) HMH – Windrider vs southwest?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Dihnekis
    Spectator

@dihnekis

OOPS! if a mod could change the thread title to HMG instead of HMH i'd really appreciate it.

I'm looking at getting a 2400 HMG pack due to their excellent pro deals offering. I currently use a ULA Circuit but I'm looking for something a little smaller/lighter/more waterproof for shorter trips. I can't decide on the southwest vs the windrider, can anyone comment on their preference? I am going to be using this a lot in the southwest, but I've used my circuit with its mesh there a lot and never really had a problem with it catching on this. I may be doing some off trail hiking, so the southwest might be a better bet? Having a hard time deciding.

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

If in doubt, I'd say go with the SW version. I have a Stuff pocket that has a similar type of mesh to the mesh found on the regular windrider. I haven't been super impressed with it's durability against snags and such.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I also vote for the Southwest. Since they weigh the same, why not go with the more durable pockets?

Dihnekis
    Spectator

@dihnekis

went with the southwest. thanks!

Nathan Bigbee
    Spectator

@deomayama

What pro deal offering are you talking about?

I'm about to buy a SW myself but the 4400 for no water backpacking in Texas.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Dihn is a Ridgerunner for the ATC, hence the pro deal. No pro, no deal.

Nathan Bigbee
    Spectator

@deomayama

Ahh, I see. Thanks.

Gerry B.
    BPL Member

@taedawood

Locale: Louisiana, USA

I actually had them make a hybrid between the two…solid side pockets and mesh front pocket…to me the best of both worlds. They are happy to do things like that for no extra charge.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools