Topic

New Cuben Mid: Locus Gear Hapi (11.3oz in stuff sack)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Cuben Mid: Locus Gear Hapi (11.3oz in stuff sack)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 26 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

"Did you have any tears with yours?"
    No. The perimeter stake out points aren't going to tear under any sort of reasonable use. They are adequately strong. The reason I've commented on this reinforcement material here and on my blog is because it's a missed opportunity. Reinforcing with nylon would be both lighter and stronger IMO. It would also look nicer.

I quite like my Khufu. The length is a bit marginal and I sorta regret switching from cuben to silnylon, but it's a great product that I'll likely continue to use for a while. I'm heading out with it now.

Dave P
    Spectator

@backcountrylaika

I have a Khufu.

You will get free shipping if you buy a shelter from them. So, there is no real point in getting the significant other to pick it up, especially since it took six weeks for them to produce mine.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Good to know international shipping is free, I have never seen any company offering it.

Any issues with import taxes?

Dave P
    Spectator

@backcountrylaika

As a Canadian, no. Outdoors gears tend to be exempted.

Not sure for Americans.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Thanks,

It's something I am always weary of, back home in Ireland and it's like playing Russian roulette with the customs.

[ Drew ]
    BPL Member

@43ten

Locale: Central Valley CA

I had no trouble with any import or customs issues or fees when I received my trekking poles from them. They use an extremely fast international shipper too.

Those of you that have the Khufu shelter I'd love to see some pics posted. Also if you have any impressions or comments about them that would be great.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

little off the original topic, but….. I've been looking at a Solomid XL in cuben, but the Khufu looks interesting

the Solomid XL is a little longer 110" vs 105", the Khufu is wider 63 vs 48", height is similar 50-54 for the XL, 51 for Khufu

Khufu is lighter, 10.3 oz vs 11.5 oz

price is comparable, $416 (today's exchange) vs $425

besides what I have listed, what else should I consider? I'd want to use this shelter for all 4 seasons (less very extreme winter conditions) and prefer an inverted V setup for mids

tia

Joel Benford
    Spectator

@morte66

Locale: Surrey flatlands, England

One thing to think about: Are your poles long enough for an inverted V with either shelter, and if not then what are you going to do about it?

[ Drew ]
    BPL Member

@43ten

"One thing to think about: Are your poles long enough for an inverted V with either shelter, and if not then what are you going to do about it?"

Locus Gear sells a DPTE (Dual Pole Tip Extender), but I have seen some MYOG versions by simply bending a plastic pipe after heating it.

http://locusgear.com/products-2/accessories/dpte?lang=en

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

pretty nifty setup that Locus has :)

I just made my own pole jacks for my Duomid-aluminum stock, light and cheap

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

Mind sharing your design? Any pics?

Thanks!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

just two simple pole jacks added to my trekking poles, aluminum stock inside diameter to fit the tips snugly, cut to the correct length and then add plastic caps to the bottom- sourced everything at my local Ace Hardware

nothing complex, but it worked just fine :)

Joel Benford
    Spectator

@morte66

Locale: Surrey flatlands, England

"I just made my own pole jacks for my Duomid-aluminum stock, light and cheap"

How long are the pole jacks, Mike? And what poles do you use?

MLD warn on their website that pole jacks over 6 inches "may stress the pole jacks" which sounds like code for "if you break a pole don't look at us". But I wonder if they're just (quite reasonably) covering themselves, or it's a thing that actually happens a lot.

I think this is quite a big question for mids-bigger-than-a-solomid, because inverted V is so attractive when you already carry two trecking poles…

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I sold my Duomid (along w/ the pole jacks), I believe they were 5-6"- used them in conjunction w/ BD Alpine Carbon Corks fully extended

the inverted V was definitely superior w/ poor weather (wind)

Dave P
    Spectator

@backcountrylaika

Double poles:
    Khufu in winter with DPTE and two trekking poles

[ Drew ]
    BPL Member

@43ten

Nice, I love the way white CTF3 looks on snow. Any more?

Dave P
    Spectator

@backcountrylaika

Without the DPTE with center pole:

How khufu looks at night

Pretty similar to the other pyramid tarps.

Dave P
    Spectator

@backcountrylaika

Attachment

But you just simply prop up the poles using these attachment points on the wall of the tent if you want to use the DPTE.

[ Drew ]
    BPL Member

@43ten

Dave, I read your review that was linked from the Locus Gear website – thank you.

After weeks of patiently waiting, Yuki emailed me and said my CTF3 Hapi/mesh/dpte will be shipping tomorrow. Preview pic:MyHapiCTF3

[ Drew ]
    BPL Member

@43ten

Impressive video, not sure about the wind speed. I don't think it'd be comfortable, but it seemed to withstand the intense wind despite having just a few guy lines. I wonder how it'd do with all the guy lines attached and staked..

https://instagram.com/p/2YYvf-vsF8/

Viewing 20 posts - 26 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools