Topic

Exped Summit Lite 25 Backpack: Golite Ion Replacement?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Exped Summit Lite 25 Backpack: Golite Ion Replacement?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Today I was in Second Ascent (my favorite Seattle backpacking store) and discovered the Exped Summit Lite 25 backpack. It is certainly reminiscent of the Golite Ion pack with the addition of daisy chains, tool loop and stretch side pockets. The store had a scale and I was able to verify the 11.5oz weight. It was priced at $48.95. Looks like another cult favorite to me.

See the Exped web page at http://www.exped.com/en/blog/new-summit-lite-25

Exped Summit Lite 25 backpack

Exped Summit Lite 25 backpack

Anonymous
    Inactive

REI flash packs are regularly on sale for $20. Look pretty identical.

I wasn't a fan of the drawstring on the flash, but I've been converted. Alot easier to reach over my shoulder and fish things out without stopping. I can do it while hiking or biking.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

The REI Flash is 30% smaller and hardly an apples and apples comparison. FYI, the old version of the 18 is currenly on sale for $27 and the latest version retails for $34.50 AND weighs 1/2oz more than the 25 liter Exped!

The Flash 22 is closer in size, weighs 6 ounces more while having 3 liters less capacity and has the same retail price. I have used the Flash 22 and the suspension was terrible.

I havent used the Exped, but thought it was an interesting alternative to those who liked the form of the defunct Ion pack.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

I always thought of the MLD Burn as "the new Ion," but yes this looks like a contender as well. Daisey chains instead of a front pocket is a reasonable option.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Second Ascent (my favorite Seattle backpacking store)
    I would never go to Second ascent!! I think everyone should stay away ;)

Russell Lawson
    BPL Member

@lawson

Locale: Olympic Mts.

second ascent is way overpriced in their used gear. I make it to seattle every so often when I'm feeling social, and hit up goodwill and value village in ballard, no backpacks but got full sierra design and patagonia getup for everyday of the week! yuppie discards

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Well you could get a Nigor for a direct replacement. I think a lot of the popularity of the Ion was that for quite a while you could get them for $35. Unheard of at the time, when the options were so much less than now. Man, that was 2007.

GoLite Ion reviews

Jameson Tisch
    Spectator

@jameson_tisch

Although I have never used them while looking this pack up online I saw that Summithut has these for $36.75. Just a heads up.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

You will be finding less and less of those bargains at the Ballard Goodwill since they opened several Goodwill Boutique Stores and they pay someone to pick through the clothes and merchandise for the brands and type of merchandise they know they can get more for and sell it for a very little mark down from the original price at the Boutique Stores. I am not posting the fantastic deals I have found at the other store since I don't think anyone should go there but on top of the used bargains I have found they have sales several times a year that includes 20% off on all of their Montbell merchandise and they carry quite a variety of.But maybe I see more bargains because I live close by and of course you are not going to see these deals everyday, just like Goodwill it will be hit and miss.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

The pack was at the Second Ascent store, which is one of just two independent/privately owned hiking supply stores in the entire city of Seattle— Pro Mountain Sports being the other. I didnt mention Goodwill. The rest of the market is dominated by REI, Cabelas, big box stores and retail chains like Eddie Bauer and Big 5. There is one used gear store near the Universty of Washington, called Second Base.

The local Goodwill organization employs quality control staff to evaluate incoming merchandise for pricing and select items for sale through online auction sites. The boutique stores are hand fed from the main depot. The larger stores survive on their own donations. That Ballard Goodwill store you mentioned can get 900 donations on a busy Saturday. Goodwill International has annual sales of 4.8 billion! The local orgainzation provides free job training, computer skills and ESL classes forcover 8000 people a year.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

+1 on what Dale said

Velimir Kemec
    BPL Member

@velimirkemec

Lots of replacement options out there but some lack even minimal sholder strap padding or structure that the original had..uncomfortable to say at least..

cheers

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

has anyone given one of these a go? I'm starting to feel the urge for another sub 5# trip in the mountains, this packs looks fairly promising for such an adventure

tia

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

I had a credit at Second Ascent and I also unloaded some packs, so it was time to get one of the Exped's and give it a try. I've had a long history with UL "stuff sacks with straps" style packs and I have yet to be impressed by one. I've been through the Flash 18, Flash 22, Verto 26, and a whole string of CamelBak, GoLite and other hydration style packs. Meh. Most ride like a "rabid raccoon" perched on my back and bouncing around. That and the fact that as much I as try, 18-20 liters just isn't enough space for me, even in a day pack.

So this pack is 11.4oz/32g, with an advertised weight of 11.6oz/330g. Good job, Exped! Volume is rated at 1525 cubic inches/25 liters, measuring 20"x11"x7.8" (53x28x30cm). That looks reasonable next other packs of 25-29 liter volume.

It adopts the "turn it inside-out and stuff it in a self-storing pocket" design. It does that, tucking into the top lid, but I wish they made with the lid zipper on the outside when deployed rather than inside.

The lid has dual zippers and hinges at the front, allowing the user to leave a gap in the zipper to route a hydration hose out the back and there is a sleeve inside with a single centered reservoir hanger clip inside. It opens large to give full width access to the innards.

It has a removable waist belt (1oz), a sternum strap on sliders, dual daisy chains down the front and one tool lop and one stretch mesh pocket on the right side. The waist belt uses toggles and D-rings for the connection with 3/4" webbing and a buckle much like the ones on a sternum strap on a heavier pack. It's good for basic stabilizing, but no weight bearing of course. Those D-rings could be handy for lashing the pack to the top deck of my bike rack. There is a folded and stitched webbing haul loop above the shoulder straps that is about 5" wide– you can get a gloved hand in there. The daisy chains are backed inside with grosgrain tape and bar tacked.

The shoulder straps are 2-3/4" wide with a diamond perf foam bonded to breathable mesh with ripstop fabric on the top side. The shoulder straps on these light packs are the litmus test for me, most of them collapsing and becoming uncomfortable with anything north of 10 pounds. These are wide enough to make me hopeful and long enough to get a good wrap around my pecs There are webbing loops just above the sternum strap sliders to corral a hydration hose or hang a sunglass case or tether a compass.

There is one side pocket on the right (sigh). Two would be better. It's about 6" wide and 7" tall. In the photo below, it will handle a one liter platy bottle, which is reasonable for a pack this size. But I still want two. The North Face Verto 26 commits this same sin, but my impression is the Exped ha a bit more room. I guess if you want to haul more you can use the internal sleeve and save this one for gloves, or beanie, windshirt, bandana, etc.

The sternum and should straps have roll-n-velcro management for excess strap length; the waist belt uses elastic webbing sliders.

I don't like to do surgery on packs, but you could trim straps, cut out the bladder sleeve and hanger and tool loop and leave the waist belt behind and drop the weight 2-3oz. The belt is 1oz alone. I would ADD a bungee cord array in the daisy chains. There is no pack panel padding or mesh. I can add some 5mm EVA foam (AKA sit pad), but it will be a sweaty little pack, just like others of the same construction.

Comes in blue and Exorcist green too.

So far, not a bad little pack for $50. What would I do with it?

Day hiking
    Urban hiking/commuting
    Travel
    Bikepacking– worn, or lashed onto my rear rack. Good for hybrid bike-n-hike trips
    SUL summer overnights

The proof will be getting my typical day hike kit in this and test those shoulder straps. Soon.

Photos:

Packed inside the pocket:
    Exped Summit Lite 25 stowed

Inside out showing the hydration sleeve:
    Exped Summit Lite 25

Waist belt details:
    Exped Summit Lite 25

Sternum strap:
    Exped Summit Lite 25

Bottom side of the lid:
    Exped Summit Lite 25

Loosely stuffed with an uncompressed 20F synthetic sleeping bag and compared with an REI Stoke 29 backpack (24oz):
    Exped Summit Lite 25

It does beg the comparison to the Ion:
    GoLite Ion pack

Left side:
    Exped Summit Lite 25

RIGHT FACE:
    Exped Summit Lite 25

Daisy chains and tool loop:
    Exped Summit Lite 25

Shoulder strap construction (gray carpet in background):
    Exped Summit Lite 25

And a liter of H2O in the side pocket:
    Exped Summit Lite 25

jimmer ultralight
    Spectator

@jimmer

Dale,
    I was just looking at those online today.
    And the bungee cord rigged to the Daisy chain is the best use for most Daisy chains ,IMHO.

I have a few questions-

a)Does the hydration sleeve span the full length and width of the back panel except at.the very top?

b) What is the total height and width pf the back panel?

Do you think it would work in internal pad pocket cut to fit?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

"a)Does the hydration sleeve span the full length and width of the back panel except at.the very top?"

Note the second photo. The sleeve is full width at ~11" and 14" tall on the edges, with elastic at the top, causing it to scoop a bit.

"b) What is the total height and width pf the back panel?"

18" tall x 11" wide.

"Do you think it would work in internal pad pocket cut to fit?"

Would a pad fit? Sure– but don't know how thick you could go. I had a piece of 3/8" blue foam and I trimmed it to a good slip fit and it came out to 10.25" x 15"– perfect for sit pad.

jimmer ultralight
    Spectator

@jimmer

Much obliged,Dale..Sorry to be a PIA asking,but I have never had much luck finding any dimensions from EXPED for amy of their packs

I really was not thinking of trying to put a full lenght skeeping pad in there forvsome fringe weight SUL rig;)

I just something big enough for back padding and bit of body to the pack that could also do double duty as a sit pad on day hikes.

Your dimensions are a big help to me. I thank you for that and keep us posted if you rig up bungees on the back of your pack…

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

My pleasure. The bungee cord is in place— simple, added 6g.

I would totally fold my small Prolite for a back pad in a SUL overnight setup. Add Gatewood cape, summer quilt, 400ml mug & Esbit kitchen, food, essentials…. walk.

Sam Riggle
    Spectator

@samriggle

Locale: South East

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=104494

Here's my thread in Gear Lists about my summer kit using this pack. Substitute my small Neo air for my XS Prolite and the kit is pretty much what Dale described. :^)

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Sam, yes that is the sort of SUL kit I had in mind. I like the photos with a text list—- it quantifies it so well. The Smartwater bottle is a perfect paring with that stretch pocket

So how are the shoulder straps with a load and a long day?

Sam Riggle
    Spectator

@samriggle

The shoulder straps work like you probably imagine they would work. They're okay for several hours because of the width, but after a while they do begin to annoy me. On dry days, I'll just place my extra socks, the thicker wool pair, under the strap at my clavicle. This really helps to lessen the annoyance for a while. I'm thinking I may mod the straps with a little CCF. The thin back panel padding that came in my Flash 18 is what I'm thinking about using. Just using some spray adhesive or eventually sewing it on if it turns out to not hold. But overall, they work quite well. Better than the Flash 18 straps.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

"I'm thinking I may mod the straps with a little CCF. "

You could take a seam ripper to the binding on the outer edge, open it enough to add the CCF and then re-sew.

Sam Riggle
    Spectator

@samriggle

That definitely looks doable. Maybe even make it like the old Gossamer Gear packs where it's removable. That wouldn't really make sense though since I would rather it always be there. I need to go visit my neighbor who is a professional seamstress. Great idea sir.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Thanks for the specs, I've got one ordered in :). Not sure if they've changed anything, but the Exped U.S. Site lists 9.9 oz for weight- I'll post up a weight when it gets in.

I had a modded Ion some time ago that I kind of miss, this looks like it might fit the bill just right.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

"Exped U.S. Site lists 9.9 oz for weight- I'll post up a weight when it gets in."

Interesting— the package says 330g/11.6oz and two here have found weighs within 0.2oz of the same.

Exped also makes a waterproof pack called a Cloudburst 25 that is listed at 9.9oz. I suspect they typo'd between the two. That is a nice pack too, but only for very light loads, IMHO.

http://www.exped.com/usa/en/product-category/backpacks/cloudburst-25-0

Exped Summit Lite 25 label

Missouri version :)
    Exped Summit Lite 25

There are a number of their packs that deserve notice in the UL world.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools