Topic

Rodent proof box for water cache ideas needed

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Rodent proof box for water cache ideas needed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Glad you all found my accidental experiment useful.

David – the drainage pipe and caps were not shockingly expensive, especially the caps.

As opposed to the ABS version I built first, which priced out around $40 IIRC:

ABS pipe water cache
    The screw thread caps really drove up the price, but I couldn't find simple slide-on end caps.

Other disadvantages of this ABS cache:

– The screw-on caps required toxic ABS cement to install. Took a couple of weeks of airing out before I stopped smelling that. Didn't want that chemical seeping into the water!

– ABS weight as shown: 922 grams (2 pounds). Drainage pipe version: 491 grams (1.1 pounds)

I kept the ABS version as a possible "torpedo toilet" for rafting:
    http://www.blm.gov/or/resources/recreation/rogue/portable-toilets-kayak.php

The drainage pipe cache could be made more raccoon proof if you felt the need, by adding one or two wood screws through the side of each cap into the pipe. Remember to bring some kind of screwdriver!

— Rex

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

The Arizona Ice Tea gallon jugs did just fine on their own for a couple of months underground. We use to car camp and cache water in Anza-Borrego for future trips. That way we only had to pack in the water to the cache site.

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools