Topic

Are boots required now?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont Are boots required now?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

Someone just told me this and looking at the Guidebook to Adventure, it does say boots are required, but I was wondering if this is what it has always said since I know quite a few have used trail runners in the past. I was intending to send my son in NB MT1210.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Give him some short gaiters – Dirty Girl style, and tell him to wear them when being inspected. And to insist they ARE boots.

Cheers

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

A scout is honest

James Couch
    Spectator

@jbc

Locale: Cascade Mountains

+1

ed dzierzak
    BPL Member

@dzierzak

Locale: SE

2014 Guidebook to Adventure:

"High quality hiking boots that are broken-in are required for the trails at Philmont."

Boots are not defined. There is usually a debate on this subject. I've never had a Ranger question personal choices (7 treks with two crews). We've had everything from high-top boots to Vibram FiveFingers. All survived, though the FiveFingers guy was stubborn and miserable. I didn't know his intent until it was too late.

Personally, treks 1-4 were in Vasque Sundowners, trek 5 in Vasque trail shoes, treks 6 and 7 in trail-runners. I like the lighter shoes so long as they have a tough enough sole. Some of those rocks can get sharp.

Tony Ronco
    BPL Member

@tr-browsing

Actually, the Scout Law says" "Trustworthy" (with Honesty & Reliability being elements of that)

Anyway as Ed points outs, what constitutes suitable hiking boots is undefined. Of the three Rangers we've had (for our 2 crews in 2011 and one crew in 2013), all have worn trail runner style shoes. The Tooth of Time also sells various Trail Runners. All of our crew members in 2011 & 2013 (with the exception of 3 individuals) have worn trail runners. That is continuing plan for our 2016 trek too.

Trail runners have built up a history of success.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

I was hoping this wasn't a recent change so thanks for the confirmation.

ed dzierzak
    BPL Member

@dzierzak

Locale: SE

2004 Guidebook to Adventure:

"A quality pair of broken-in hiking boots are a necessity at Philmont."

No real change in 10 years.

As for the Rangers, trail-runners were observed on our treks in 2010, 2012, and 2014. I don't remember the Rangers from earlier treks.

Michael Kiernan
    Spectator

@kiernan1bellsouth-net

I have done 2 treks of 3 crews each in 2006 and 2011. I and many of our Scouts used trail runners. Never had a problem. Worked great. One Ranger questioned it in 2011 but dropped it when I told him that was what we brought and that was what we were doing.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools