Topic

Check valve stuff sacks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Check valve stuff sacks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Edward Barton
    BPL Member

@porosantihodos

Locale: Boston

I'm looking to compress my down quilt with a one way valve type stuff sack, basically looking to get a minimum volume for my quilt without stressing my hands or the quilt fabric in the process, as I put a lumbar pack setup together.

Any advice on a compression bag small enough for just a quilt and down hood? I'm looking to compress down to about 1.2 liters for a 40F quilt and hood, with a one way valve so I can just lean on the bag to push air out, without having to futz with a cap.

Thanks, Ed

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Or Granite Gear Drysacks They have eVent bottoms to let the air out.

GG DrySack

You said "compression". These are not compression bags. However, all my fluffy stuff goes into a Large (it literally fills my Ohm) then I squash it into the bottom of the pack and start adding things. Because there is extra fabric and the down keeps compressing, every available space is filled. If you put a sausage hard compression bag down there it is really tough to fill in around.

And an UberLight cuben ver$ion.

Food for thought.

Edward Barton
    BPL Member

@porosantihodos

Agreed, that is a better way to go with one big space to fill, if not just a compactor bag or the like, but I'm trying to use a lumbar running pack, an Osprey talon 6L, with an SUL setup for 1-2 night runs, and I want to fill a fairly small pocket with just the quilt and hood. They fit by themselves, but a valved compression bag that was the right size might make it easier/quicker to do, and I'm wondering if I could get them smaller as well. They aren't at all rock hard in the bag at this point.

The nice thing about a one way valve is that you can kind of shape the bag to fit the space you have too, though there are limits to this of course.

Cheers, E

Edward Barton
    BPL Member

@porosantihodos

So far the Exped schnozzel looks like a contender, though it has more capacity than I really need. I wonder if I could fill an xlite with it too? Going to stop by an REI soon to test it out.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

The GG DryBags "breathe" in both directions. You can squash them, but the things inside Will "push back" and "grow" if given the opportunity.

Edward Barton
    BPL Member

@porosantihodos

Hm, the 2L S2S bag may work, yeah. Not sure if the extra fabric will be too much bulk, it's a tight fit already… I will check them out though.

Edward Barton
    BPL Member

@porosantihodos

Right, same with the S2S event bags, just air permeable, but with straps to hold it in place. Much easier to compress than a taped roll top bag, but bulkier. One reason to like the valves if space is a concern…

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Edward Barton
    BPL Member

@porosantihodos

Thanks Anna,

Nice to see someone is having success with something similar.

It looks like I may be able to get a 2 night set up into this 6L pack AND be able to run with it with minimal bounce, which is key for me. I'll post something about it when I get a chance to try it out.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools