Topic

Water filter for herbicide/pesticide/fertilizer?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Water filter for herbicide/pesticide/fertilizer?

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Chadd P
    Spectator

@cpotts9217

David thanks for the expertise. Judging by the pictures below do you think I could use my moka express to distill out fertilizer salts and filter through active carbon removing other chemicals by putting active carbon where the coffee should go? This would involve putting all three parts seen together then heating the bottom until it creates enough pressure to push the water out the top into the top reserviour.

Brian T
    BPL Member

@cryptobrian

Sorry to dredge up an old post, but didn’t find any other related topics. I am thinking about a trip around Ancient Lakes, were it is advised not to drink the water due to agricultural runoff (and it sounds like the lakes themselves are actually nothing but ag runoff).

I found some references to folks using the Sawyer Select S1 as it is advertised for use in agricultural areas like this.

Does anyone have any experience with the Select product line?  Or other similar products that deal with the chemical runoff?

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

If there is any Blue Green Algae (Cyanobacteria) in the water seen or unseen  NO filter or purifier will make the water safe. This organism is becoming prevalent in our fresh and salt waters associated with fertilizers and agricultural runoff.

Good article if you are not familiar with Freshwater Harmful Algal Blooms:

https://www.nrdc.org/stories/freshwater-harmful-algal-blooms-101?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqryXobqS7gIVCtbACh277AS3EAAYAiAAEgInXPD_BwE#types

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Everyone here can speculate what you need in attempt to remove the unknown chemicals from the water. You can use multiple filters, charcoal, etc. What no one here can tell you is that if your filter method was effective and whether the water will be free of chemicals.

Carry your water to be sure.

Brian T
    BPL Member

@cryptobrian

Interesting information on the cyanobacteria, I will read-up.

Of course, you can only ever speculate how good the filtering was anytime you use a filter. That’s the case for any filter under any conditions, I suppose, yet we all use them.

I’ll keep looking for additional information and experiences with the Select line while I further consider just packing the water.

Thanks!

Brian

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools