Topic

Golite Ressurection. Jinkies, Shaggy.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Golite Ressurection. Jinkies, Shaggy.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

from FB

Founders of GoLite will start a new company, looking to become a global manufacturer of innovative and responsibly-made apparel and equipment designed for the outdoors. They strive to be a leader in terms of channel distribution, technical performance, and sustainable business practice.
    Maintaining their status as a Colorado based company, looking forward to seeing you on the trail.

Simon Kenton
    BPL Member

@simonbutler

Just saw this, it'll be interesting to see if they keep to the ultralight credo or try to appeal to more traditional backpackers.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I dunno, I smell something rotten in the state of Denmark.

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

Hang on, I live in Denmark, and apart from an upcoming election things seem okay and certainly there is no odour as I type this message.

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Locale: Upper Sierra Foothills - Gold Rush Country

Interesting. I wonder if "sustainable business practice" includes any plan to pay back all the millions they owe to (stole from) the hard-working people at their prior factories without whom they would have had nothing to sell.

-H

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

My apologies Roger, maybe in this instance Denmark should be replaced with Colorado (specifically Boulder where Golite was based)

;-)

Oh, well said Henry.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

It is the gluten free, free-range, fair trade compost piles.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

OK, Stephen, now you're skating on thin ice. Roger, I am 25% Danish blood, and I live in the Peoples' Republic of Boulder. I say you and I get our people organized and do an intensive aerial attack on Stephen, wherever he goes. You know, drop stink bombs on him, day and night. It's the only way he'll learn about how to treat the Danes and the Boulderites…

As for GoLite, I kinda miss them, but we'll get by. After all, we still have The North Face, MontBell, Patagonia, Moosejaw, Neptune Mountaineering, and REI stores, and also Sierra Designs, Kelty, Backpacker's Pantry, and Nite-eze. And let's not forget McGuckin's Hardware. Oh yes, the wind blows the stink out of Boulder and sends it to Denver. We're still good.

It will be interesting to see what Coup does next.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> a global manufacturer of innovative and responsibly-made apparel and equipment
    > designed for the outdoors. They strive to be a leader in terms of channel
    > distribution, technical performance, and sustainable business practice.

That sounds like 101% marketing spin, leavened with a high level of BS. Little relevance to light-weight walking.

Cheers

John DeMorris
    BPL Member

@bulwyf

Locale: West TX

It was my understanding that the original founders of Golite had sold the business before it went under. If that's the case I wish them the best of luck. In some ways Golite did a lot of good for the UL marketplace.

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

> It was my understanding that the original founders of Golite had sold the business before it went under. If that's the case I wish them the best of luck. In some ways Golite did a lot of good for the UL marketplace.

Nope. They tried but no takers and they went under owing a lot of money to a lot of people.

http://www.dailycamera.com/boulder-business/ci_26750326/boulder-based-golite-files-chapter-11-bankruptcy-reorganization

List of creditors: http://dytbxbqvpce4z.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/GoLiteBankruptcy2.pdf

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Gary,

I am just jealous of you Boulder dwellers, as I live in flat Michigan :-)

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

John,
    In 2006 Golite sold its own name (the brand name Golite, not the business) to Timberland.
    Timberland then made a line of shoes called Golite and licenced the use of the name back to Golite for the other, made for, Golite products.
    So since 2006 Golite was selling Golite products under licence.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I know, mate, I just had to tease you a wee bit. It's been awhile, you know. Why don't you get your company to transfer you to Boulder, so that you can occasionally smell the feed lots of Greeley when the wind is right?

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Ah, the smell of animal feed, that might remind of the cow manure smell
    from back home in Ireland.

I would love if my company opened an office in Biulder as would then get to go on trips with you :-)

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

"List of creditors: http://dytbxbqvpce4z.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/GoLiteBankruptcy2.pdf"

Cool. I had not seen that before. All things considered, that's much less than I thought it would be. Easy for me to say of course, I'm not out $1.3M.

Ryan

John DeMorris
    BPL Member

@bulwyf

Locale: West TX

Ok. That clears up how the business matters were handled. I suppose they will have to build up their relationships with new suppliers from scratch. I'm sure the old ones have some hard feelings. Not to mention the difficulty securing capital they'll likely have.

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

> Cool. I had not seen that before. All things considered, that's much less than I thought it would be. Easy for me to say of course, I'm not out $1.3M.

If you total up all the debts owed to just the Asian manufacturers, it's about $3.6 million. I doubt any of those debts impacted the salary and benefit payout to Coup et al. right up to pulling the plug.

-H

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

Am I the only one that finds it morally strange that they fail to pay a whole bunch of people several million dollars, then have the gumption to start up another similar company? Leveraging on their old company name? With bold claims in their facebook page about "just getting some capital, then we'll start opening stores in 3-6 months"?

Geez.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

I feel the same way also Adam.

alan york
    BPL Member

@alanyork9

Locale: PIEDMONT N.C.

Crazy!I like the tree hugging /feel good about buying from us spin….but they broke promises.If they have the money to start over ,pay off what is owed first!Play by the rules!

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Bankruptcy is just another business tool.
    And, like Kickstarter, if you can fool a few people you can carry on.

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

Well, technically, they did play by the rules.

Suppliers start out asking for payment in advance. After a while, when there is an established business relationship, suppliers will start manufacturing and shipping on credit, basically, trusting that the client will continue to pay its bills. This lets the brand place larger orders, so the manufacturer gets more business, but there is a risk on both sides if something happens and the brand can't sell its goods. The supplier trades larger orders for a non-zero risk they won't be paid.

Investors are in the same position – trading the possibility of profits against the risk of losing the entire investment.

So legally it's defensible, but morally maybe not so much.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

I posted this before:

http://www.hikersreview.com/my-trail-company-new-company-launch-golite/

Colorado only. Started by the person who headed up GoLite retail for a year. Some some sort of crowd funding will be what funds the new company.

….

Those are the facts. On a personal note, I am not really sure what they can bring to an already overcrowded market. We'll see. I think Sierra Designs is starting to fill the niche for good solid, lightweight gear that is not overly expensive. Otherwise, not sure what this re-branded company can do.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools