Topic

New Gossamer Gear Poles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Gossamer Gear Poles

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    David Passey

@davidpassey

Locale: New York City

Has anyone yet got their hands on the new Gossamer Gear poles? The description on their website is intriguing.

I currently have two sets of poles–golf club poles and komperdell from REI. I vastly prefer the golf club poles, but am considering upgrading to something done professionally, and perhaps the new GG poles are the item.

Thanks in advance.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

David,
    Also consider the Ti Goat Adjustable Poles.

I got a pair last month and find them excellent.

Out of the box they handled 35 mountain miles over 2 days with no problems. This trip had snow, mud, scree, and talus.
    I'm 5'9" at 175#, plus 23# FSO.

Previously reported slipping issues did not occur with me.
    They have a very positive stop when tightening.

The symetrical grips were comfortable and always correctly oriented.

I added "keeper cords" so the poles would follow me when a light grip lets one get away.

I found the adjustability nice for the perfect fit, useful in tent set-up, and for those very few occasions when I chose to pack them rather tha carry them. By the end of the trip I always carried them, balanced lightly in each hand, ready to go.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I have read some really positive feedback on the original GG poles. However, when I was shopping for mine a few months ago, I opted for the two-section, variable-length Titanium Goat poles instead because I wanted them to compact down when traveling.

If fixed length fits your needs, the GG poles are lighter. Otherwise, I too would recommend the Ti Goat poles.

David Passey

@davidpassey

Locale: New York City

Thanks, guys. I, too, have been looking at the goat poles. I do so love the light weight of my golf club poles, however, that I am leaning toward the lighter, even if less conventient, GG poles.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Another thumbs up for the carbon Titanium Goat Adjustable Poles.

They are fantastic!

Theodore Hall

@bohican

I got a pair last week and have been extremely impressed with the weight as well as the fit and finish. Hopefully I'll be able to get out and use them soon so I can write up a review.

Jeff Boone
    BPL Member

@jnboone

I bought a pair of the new GG Litetrek poles two weeks ago. Took them out last week for three days. Did not notice any significant difference in the flex compared to my Leki Ultralights when in use – except that they're about 1/4th the weight. The two people who tried them out didn't want to give them back! I'm sold!

Phil Barton
    BPL Member

@flyfast

Locale: Oklahoma

David, those new GG poles look great. The previous Lightrek poles are fabulous. They have been reviewed extensively here on bpl. I found that Gossamer Gear's product support is also excellent. The 2006 model poles are on sale for $75. You might want to check those out as well.

Andrew King

@drewboy

Locale: Arizona

The new, more durable poles are definitely worth the price. I've been using them for a number of months now, they have held up like champs. And dealing with GG is alwsys a pleasure, Grant is the best and will take care of you.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Has anyone come up with a way to attach a "heavy-duty" strap to Ti Goat Adjustable Poles?

I am currently using the Komperdell C3 Carbon adjustables and I really like the straps because they allow me to relax my grip on the handles and put my weigh on the strap through my wrist. I find this is a valuable option contributing to my all-day comfort on the trail (weight is not always the bottom line for the Pursuit of Happyness). If I could have lightweight (and adjustable length) of the the Ti Goats and the strap convenience of the Komperdells, well that would be pole nirvana for me!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Titanium Goat adjustable poles now feature light weight, removable straps. Email them for more details.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Thanks Ben

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

I recently added the straps to my TiGoat CF adjustables and now the equation is complete. Wish I'd had the straps during my thru hike.

Paul Cronshaw

@beemancron

Locale: Southwest US

I thought I had the lightest trekking poles on the market when I used REI’s REI’s Peak UL Carbon Compact Trekking Poles for a year.

However, when GG sent me a pair of the Lightrek 3’s to beta test in May, I immediately fell in love with them when I took them out of the shipping tube.

At first, I missed the straps and the adjustable pole lengths, but after a couple hundred miles on the trail I adapted to life without excess strap fidgeting and twisting. Just grip them in your hands and go!

When gear conversations with fellow hikers come up on the trail, I hand them a single pole, and say: “Here try these: they are the lightest on the market”. Their facial expressions and comments are priceless.

I have made one suggestion in my feedback to the company: add a 6” piece of shrinkwrap above the basket to protect the lower shaft from rock abrasions. Look for non- waterproof 3M 3/4" FP301 Polyolefin Heat Shrink Shrinks 50%. It adds .1 oz to each pole.
    Shrinkwrap on GG poles
    After approximately 400 miles of use, they are still working well. I echo the performance notes from fellow GG beta tester, “Disco”:

http://www.filebox.vt.edu/users/lgrinter/Lightrek.htm

These poles have found a premanent place in my lightweight gear; I passed my REI Peak UL poles onto a fellow BPL subscriber.

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Hello all,

I've had all generations of the Gossamer Gear poles and both of the previous versions were reviewed on this site. The 2nd generation Lightrek poles were great.

I'm in the middle of reviewing the new Lightrek3 and they are even better.

The new tapered shafts are stiffer, while retaining a slight flex that helps with sharp hits on the trail. The new poles weigh 2.8 ounces for a size 125cm, so a net weight gain of ZIP! The new tips are a huge improvement, giving space above the threads so the baskets can rotate without falling off. The new Lightrek 3 are a solid refinement of what was already a staff favorite.

Should you sell your old Lightreks? No, but these are sure nice!

Lood for a full review in the coming months…I'm off to field test this weekend!

Doug

ERIC PAYNE
    Spectator

@vaporjourney

Locale: Greater Gila

Any updates on how the TiGoat poles have held up after a few months of usage? I was very depressed to see Roger Caffin's negative review of them on his post-trip analysis. I have been planning on getting these poles for my PCT thruhike, but now I am very skeptical. Hopefully someone else can ease my mind?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Got mine in September.
    Beat them up in rocks, mud, and snow.
    No slipping. No problems. Nothing but wonderful.
    Comfortable, light, strong.

I'm 5'9", 175# + 20#, 15 miles a day, in the southern Rockies.

IF I ever break them I'll order another pair immediately.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Eric

> Any updates on how the TiGoat poles have held up after a few months of usage? I was very depressed to see Roger Caffin's negative review of them on his post-trip analysis.
    The fixed-length pair I had did experience problems, but the problems may have been unique to that batch. I just don't know.
    The current model is different: it's the variable length version. I have no experience with those – ask Doug.

Cheers

adam brenner
    BPL Member

@adammbrennerhotmail-com

Locale: Olympics and Cascades

I've put on over 150 miles with the TiGo and no problem- Olympics & Rockies.

They held up a Black Diamond Megamid at night as well.

Great poles. They seem very durable.

John Mackey

@johnmackey

According to Gossamer Gear's newsletter they have adjustable poles in development:

"Adjustable Trekking poles! At last these are in the GG pipeline. Yeehaw! These revolutionary poles have to be used to be believed. I've tested them, as have others, and it's universally love at first sight. The time, engineering and technology that went into this has paid off. At a scant 6.8 oz. per pair, the shafts are
    based on our current fixed poles with a beefed up spiral wound tip section for added strength where you need it most. Fully adjustable up to 140 cm they are the bomb. We'll have more specifics in the next few weeks.
    If you'd like to be notified when they are in stock, email me at [email protected]."

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

>I was very depressed to see Roger Caffin's negative review of them on his post-trip analysis.

The adjustable version we have been using are very robust, so maybe it was a batch problem or just plain bad luck?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> > I was very depressed to see Roger Caffin's negative review of them on his post-trip analysis.
    > The adjustable version we have been using are very robust, so maybe it was a batch problem or just plain bad luck?

If you read the review carefully you will see that one large problem was with the rubber expander/lock which joined the fixed-length shafts. The newer variable-length poles seem better (I have a pair), although I still have occasional problems. Tricky things, those locks.

The carbon fibre poles seem very robust: no complaints there.

However, I remain very disappointed by the tapered handle. Instead of having a flared support at the bottom end of the handle, it narrows there! I suspect the handle may be from a fishing pole or similar, but it really is a poor choice imho. I am experimenting with light-weight replacements.

Cheers

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

>However, I remain very disappointed by the tapered handle. Instead of having a flared support at the bottom end of the handle

Hear hear. I have complained to DJ about this no end. I have asked if I could have a pair with the handles "up-side-down" so the flared part would face down. Either that, or leave the handle off so I can add my own. At the moment this seems too much of a special request!

We also have occassional troubles with the locking mechanism, but as yet it hasn't failed.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

If you get the straps, the handle isn't an issue. The weight is taken by the strap, not the handle.

Has anyone used the adjustable TiGoat poles with a Hex 3? I set my Hex 3 up with the poles, and they bent alarmingly! I'm afraid to use them now with the Hex. Is compression of carbon poles something to worry about? I use them with a tarp no problem.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

>If you get the straps, the handle isn't an issue. The weight is taken by the strap, not the handle.

Some of us prefer not using a strap, especially one as thin and unpadded as the TG. It's a matter of personal preference, but would be nice if the grips accomodated those of us who do not use straps.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools