Topic

ZPacks Arc Haul

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ZPacks Arc Haul

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 197 total)
  • Author
    Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Yes… that's why I was banging my head a bit after reading that description. :^) Both the Arc Blast and the Zero have that center grosgrain loop on the pack bag itself, although I find them both extremely comfortable with no lumbar pad lumbar loops

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Bob…this is not what I expected to see when I got out my Arc Haul to check?!?! Your "stich" photo clearly shows no such loop on your Arc Haul. Lumbar pad anchor loop on Arc Haul

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Dang, I wuz robbed, LOL! Hey, whatever, I figured it out. :^O But your dilemma is solved. :^D Just an appropriately-sized loop of cord should do it.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Dang, I wuz robbed, LOL! Perhaps, but you scored that bitchin' green dyneema, so…I'm calling even :)

Austin
    Spectator

@ul_backpacker

Does anyone have an Arc Haul in Slate Blue or Autumn Orange?

Joseph Valesko
    BPL Member

@zpacks-com

Some photos of the Green, Blue, and Orange Arc Haul colors are on the site now. It just came to my attention that some packs were shipped without the loop for securing the Lumbar Pad. That is corrected now. We've also seen a couple packs where the stays wore through the webbing holsters. Normally the webbing holsters have metal sewn inside of them to prevent that, but a handful went out without metal around the July timeframe. Please email us with any issues, repairs are always free. -Joe

Austin
    Spectator

@ul_backpacker

Thanks for those photos, Joe!

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

So Bob was right (again). While the Arc Haul is perfectly comfortable (for me) without it, adding the lumbar pad just makes the ride so darn cushy I can't really see removing it now. But I'm not so sure about that attachment loop. I can see it being necessary with the Arc Blast, but the pad seems really secure on the Haul without it. So I'm wondering if anyone is using a lumbar pad with the Haul and NOT using the attachment? If it does ride up, I like Bob's "stich" method better than the loop.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

"Based on Billy's description, I suspect his issue is simply that the rod ends are not sufficiently smoothed off." That may be part of it… but after contacting Joe it seems they normally include a thin layer of metal sandwiched inside the retainer pocket just to prevent this and he said that they neglected putting it inside a few packs last summer… Pack is on the way to zPacks for a free repair. As always Joe and company are great about standing behind their products… Billy

Michael
    BPL Member

@tjayblues

Looks like the added the "John H" option … double top straps to the Arc Haul and Blast.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

John H Option? People have been requesting double straps for many years. b

Michael
    BPL Member

@tjayblues

I realize this … I was referencing John H's post from 7/12/15 in which he details this part of his custom pack. As far as I know, this has only recently been added to ZPacks website as an add on.

Don Burton
    Spectator

@surfcam310

Locale: City of Angels

Does the mesh front pocket stretch very much? Does it seem durable? I really like the material they use for the front pocket on my GG Gorilla. I think it's 4 way stretch Lycra. Anyone get a 45L or 52L Dyneema pack? Is the only difference in the different volumes the height of the body?

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

mesh- Don, the mesh stretches nicely but isn't super durable… The mesh on my Arc Blast got a couple of small snag holes after minimal contact with rock and being dragged thru some spruce blowdowns, but was easily repaired with needle and thread. However, I still love the mesh and the accessibility it provides. However, if I were going to be doing a whole bunch of stuff in rocks I'd ask about a custom option for a dyneema front pocket. I seem to recall reading about someone who had that done. pack volume- I was wondering when someone was going to ask about a dyneema version of the 45- or 52-liter sizes. :^) Ask about it and let us know — they respond quickly to email inquiries. That said, the stock compression cords work very well on the 60 liter for smaller loads. I made the mistake earlier of assuming the extra volume was achieved by making the pack taller. In fact, it comes from the depth (front to back) of the pack bag. They're all 30" tall and 12.5" wide, but the 45l is 5.5" deep, the 52l is 6.5" deep and the 60l is 7.5" deep. Also, the water bottle pockets on my Arc Haul are a bit more generously sized than those of my 52l Arc Blast thanks to that extra pack depth, no doubt. It'll make it easier to use insulated water bottles this winter.

Don Burton
    Spectator

@surfcam310

Locale: City of Angels

I have an email to zpacks with the questions about possibility of different sizes for the Dyneema and using a different material for the front pocket. I'll report back when i get a reply.

Austin
    Spectator

@ul_backpacker

I don't know about the first part about different sizes, but I'm the one with the customized dyneema front pocket. All I had to do was ask, but keep in mind it will void any returns you can make if you don't like the pack. To clarify, a front pocket customization will not void their free repair policy, only that you can't return the pack if you really don't like it after first impressions!

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Regarding a different custom request – "Hi Greg, We can do it on request. No price change. Remind us when you order. There will however be a $25 restocking fee if you return or exchange the custom made backpack." Joe is easy to work with. Email is the best way to get things done. I'm not saying that every custom job is returnable (this isn't REI), but he will let you know the ground rules up front.

Austin
    Spectator

@ul_backpacker

Good call, Greg. In the end, let it never be said that ZPacks isn't a fair and just company.

Thomas Willard
    BPL Member

@tomw

Locale: Philadelphia

Hi folks- I read through all of the posts, so forgive me if I missed what I’m about to ask. My question is: how does the Arc Haul ride when not completely filled? Some other companies have packs that don’t ride very well when partially filled. My kit weight ranges from 18-30 pounds and I won’t always need the entire space.

Also, does anyone know of any thru hikers who completed their hike using the Arc Haul?  I am doing the AT this coming season, and while I love my EH Kalais, the arc and suspension of the Arc Haul looks very appealing.

D M
    BPL Member

@farwalker

Locale: What, ME worry?

The pack “rides” fine full or not. Yes I did a thru hike with it and an extra 450 miles also. Carried 25- 40+ pounds depending on distances to water.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Odd – question :  Has anyone weighed a medium (or any size) hipbelt?

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Hmm, I’d weigh mine for you, but I’ve tack-stitched the lumbar pad on… (see above)

If you shoot a quick email to Zpacks they’d probably answer pretty quickly.

I’ll take a WAG here and say 4.2 oz at most, judging from the lumbar pad that Zpacks spec’s at 28g, and then applying some fancy Kentucky-windage guesstimation.

Now I just can’t wait to see the actual number! ;^)

Skibbs
    Spectator

@skibbs

Locale: Conifer, CO

Lots of good info in this thread, just wanted to see if anyone has any updates after prolonged use of this pack or anything that has been improved/standardized.  I currently have a ULA Catalyst which I would like to retire to Packrafting trips only and make my main multiday bag bag the Arc Haul.  Even with the options I want to add it should shave close to 20oz off my base weight.  My current base weight is 15lbs, trying to get under 12.

Joe
    BPL Member

@typicalsloan

Locale: New England

I’m about to order an arc haul but I’m having a hard time deciding if I should get a small or a medium. I’m 5’6″, 130 lbs, 30 inch waist with an 18.5 inch measurement from the bottom of my current pack belt to where the straps are sewn in. So it seems I’m stuck in between a small and a medium.

Is there anyone my size that has an arc haul?

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

I am your same and torso 18.5 size but a little heavier. I had and extensive discussion via email with Joe before ordering my Arc Haul last summer. Basically, he said it didn’t matter. We are in the middle between the Short and Medium sizes. But they are both adjustable to our size. I bought the Short with a Small belt and have been happy with it.

Billy

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 197 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools