Topic

Patagonia DAS vs hooded Micro Puff

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Patagonia DAS vs hooded Micro Puff

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 26 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Do you think they'll sell them over the web? I wanted one but they took them down before I could get one for $148.

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Bummer I just contacted them. Looks like I have to wait. HOpefully no one buys all of the smalls!

Jon Rhoderick
    BPL Member

@hotrhoddudeguy

Locale: New England

Moutain hardwear actually has something called the hooded compresser, with 100g of primaloft one, at 19 oz and $175, if the soft primaloft is more your kinda thing that continuous fill can be.
    http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Product.aspx?top=1&prod=404&cat=39&viewAll=False

Also, would a light and a mid weight jacket be warmer or colder than one heavy one? my thermawrap action + a possible flatiron would be 170g, but moving your arms would be creating a draft.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Dave, I don't know what low temps you are expecting, but I chose the DAS parka and Micro-puff pants for winter hiking in the Japan alps when my thermawrap set is not enough. Including windchill, lows of about -20C. It is part of my sleep system which includes a stretchable Montbell sleeping bag to accomodate the clothing loft.
    I got the little-known military version of the DAS from diamondbacktactical.com for $150. Like the previous poster said, you dont have to pay full price.

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

Hi Brett. Well, I'm gearing up for the first time here and I'm planning most of my hikes for the North East, the Catskills and 'Dacks in particular. I'd like to do some winter backpacking this year, but I may not make it due to the costs associated with buying new gear.

Winter temps go pretty low up in the 'Dacks, below zero to be sure, so…

After I get my clothes more or less sorted out, I'm going to move on to a sleeping system and shelter. Ideally, I'd like a clothing/sleep system that affords me a great deal of flexibility (i.e. with components that I can use in all 4 seasons). To that end, I think that the DAS would allow me to stretch the temperature rating of my yet to be determined sleep system. So, Brett, I think I might like to pick your brain regarding those Montbell bags. I've noticed that they have bags rated at 0* that don't weight too much, but they're really pricey. Before buying one, I'd like to talk to someone who uses them. In general, I feel like I know the least about cold weather sleep systems. Clothes, shelter, and cooking systems all make intuitive sense, but the notion of carrying a small quilt into freezing temps really weirds me out!

>>Also, would a light and a mid weight jacket be warmer or colder than one heavy one? my thermawrap action + a possible flatiron would be 170g, but moving your arms would be creating a draft.

I'm with you here Jonathan. I'd love to know more about this.

By the way, if I remember right, on the Diamondback Tactical website, the DAS price was a lot higher for the Large size. The rest were cheap like you've mentioned, but I was pretty miffed about them jacking the price on my size!

lee davis

@leepfrog

Locale: New York

Is there any reason, price aside, the DAS is a better deal than the W.M. Meltdown jacket? Seems like the latter is lighter and potentially warmer.

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Down vs synthetic if I remember what the melt down is correctly.

A true belay jacket goes on last, over everything else you're wearing when you're belaying your partner climbing. You don't really want to sit out in a snowstorm getting yoru down jacket soaked. It's not such a big deal with synthetic. Plus getting your jacket ripped is a much bigger concern using it as it was intended.

If you just need a big warm winter jacket, there are plenty of down options out there. I just wouldn't use them as a true beley jacket.

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

Locale: Midwest

I've got a late 2006 or 2007 model Das parka, that I'd like to sell. Used only a few times, and is like new. Its an XL though, in Black.

$150.00 shipped or B.O.

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

Anybody that's still looking for a DAS can buy it at Diamondback Tactical for $144. Unless, of course, you wear a size L like me, in which case they'll jack you for another $106. What is that about anyway?

Here's the link:

http://www.diamondbacktactical.com/MARS-DAS-Parka-Lev-7-Ranger-Green-P2463C292.aspx

Philip Mitchell

@pmops5

Locale: Florida

"Unless, of course, you wear a size L like me, in which case they'll jack you for another $106."

I hate that- something is advertised as on sale somewhere, then you find out that price is only on XXXXXXXXL; medium or large is full price

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Well in this case it's JUST the large that is more. The small, medium and XL are all on sale at the advertised price.

Philip Mitchell

@pmops5

Locale: Florida

Yes, I didn't intend to mislead anyone, I am talking in general.

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

>>Well in this case it's JUST the large that is more.

Unfortunately, the M is too small and the XL is too big. I'm more than a little bummed.

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

Locale: Southwest GA

>Well in this case it's JUST the large that is more. The small, medium and XL are all on sale at the advertised price.

Which sucks, because I wear a freaking large :(

Tom

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Gottcha. Backcountry is doing just what you hate now with these parkas. I thought I could get a DAS there for $186 but it's just the XL or XXL size in one color. The rest were full price. Bummer!

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

FWIW, DAS's run quite big so they can layer a lot underneath. I can EASILY fit into a small. I'm 5'11"/155lbs. My chest is in the small size range but I have a medium Skaha Plus comparitively.

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

Thanks Chris, but I tried some on the other day at a local store. The L is the one for me, so I'm SOL.

Sven Klingemann
    Spectator

@svenklingemann

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

I assume that that's a DAS in size L on eBay? I can't get on eBay at work though… I hope it's still there when I get home!

Thanks a lot Sven.

Jeffrey Snyder

@jeffsnyder

hey David. i contacted lands end after your post. The jacket you referred to earlier weighs 1 lb. 7 oz. for a size medium and has 170 g Primaloft Sport insulation. I ordered an XL which weighs 1 lb 9 oz. 170 g corresponds to 5 oz. yd^2. The CLO/oz. of primaloft sport is .74, so the CLO value of that jacket is .74 * 5 = 3.7. The DAS parka has Polarguard 3D which has a CLO/oz. of .909. So the CLo value of that jacket would be .909*6 = 5.454 in the torso and .909*4 = 3.636 in the arms. The micropuff uses climashield green. I don't know the CLO/oz. for this, but XP and Combat are .82 and .78 respectively, so assuming it is about .8 we get a CLO value of about 2.4 for the micropuff. So actually the lands end jacket is relatively light for the amount of warmth it should provide. And for 30$ I won't mind wearing it around town.

Viewing 20 posts - 26 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools