Topic

Patagonia DAS vs hooded Micro Puff

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Patagonia DAS vs hooded Micro Puff

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

Hello, hello,

Yet another question that reinforces the fact that I may not know how to dress myself:

So, I'm beginning to turn my attention to a high loft, synthetic jacket for winter hiking in the Adirondacks. I've never done this type of hiking before, so I'm not sure how heavy duty I need to go when it comes to this piece of gear. I know it depends a lot on what I layer underneath and how I intend to integrate the jacket into my sleep system, but, in general, do you guys think that the DAS would be overkill?

I know the DAS is big and cumbersome to pack, so if it's too much coat for my purposes I'd like to carry something smaller I think.

Also, if I can get the same insulation out of the Micro Puff combined with, say, a down vest would that be a better, more flexible option?

So far for clothes I have

1. Smartwool and synthetic base layers
    2. Montane Featherlite smock
    3. Thermawrap
    4. WP/B shell

I only have a bag rated to 35*, so I'll need to get another winter bag I think. I'll take care of that once I know where I stand with clothes I think.

Any opinions or ideas? Maybe I should look at other jackets too?

Thanks

Dave

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I own a MP pullover (no hood) and have tried on the DAS a couple times. There is no comparison between the two. The DAS is by far bigger and warmer. MUCH warmer.

For true winter use out here I'd bring the DAS for my types of adventures. In fact I'll probably be buying one as soon as I can snag a decent price. If it was just hiking and I had an adaqute sleeping bag I might be able to get by with just the hooded MP but it would depend on the weather/temperatures. Below 32 and below 0 are two very different situations.

The real answer of course is gained through experience since your hiking style, temperatures encountered, metabolism, etc all play. Take your best guess, buy one and go from there if you can.

Jeroen Wesselman

@jeroenman

Locale: Europe

Hi Dave,

I know from experience that it can get really cold up there so having a DAS would be nice on those super cold days.

Here is where i stand;

on winter hiking day trips i prefer the combination of a high loft synthetic vest (Patagonia Micro Puff vest) and a high loft synthetic hooded jacket (Wild Things EP Hooded Jacket). I reason that I don't need a really puffy jacket because most of the time i will be moving.
    I can wear the vest under a softshell or windjacket and when it get's really cold or there is summit time i put on the hooded jacket.

on multi day hiking winter trip where you will be camping outside i will not leave without my DAS cause there will be a lot of time when you will be relative inactive and lying in my sleeping bag from sunset to sunrise in mid december is just too long. So i figure the extra bulk is worth taking in that case because i will use it at least 50% of the day.
    Also on a multi day trip it is comforting to know you have a killer jacket in your pack so no matter what kind of trouble you run into you will have the best synthetic jacket available (my opinion anyway).

With the DAS you will have to be carefull with selecting a roomy bag to not to compress any loft either from your jacket or bag.

Combining the DAS with the Patagonia Micro Puff pants is pure bliss and than you can get away with a really light sleeping bag and the pants you can wear in camp all evening.

I am a gear junkie when it comes to synthetic high loft jackets (I have too many) but my 3 winter favorites are;

Patagonia DAS Parka,
    Wild Things EP Hooded Jacket
    Patagonia Micro Puff Vest.

BTW; never buy any of those for full price, they are always on sale somewhere.

Good luck.

Jeroen

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

With the DAS I am able to get away with a 20 deg bag and Wild Things EP pant on some pretty cold nights. When hiking in winter I think a super warm belay type jkt is not somthing you want to compromise on. I can honestly saw I have never felt cold in mine even when my base layers are soaked with sweat. I costs more, weights more and takes up more room but I would not want to find myself stuck outside in an emergency situation on a freezing cold day with a little synthetic pullover.

It is nice to be able to wear a t-shirt to shovel the driveway as well with this bad boy.

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Exactly.

Don't screw around in winter, esp when you're new to those kind of conditions. You can survive rainy summer nights with next to nothing. Winter is not so forgiving. That doesn't mean bring the kitchen sink but you have to start solid and pare away carefully from there.

Donald Browning
    BPL Member

@docdb

Locale: SE USA

I like the micropuff for trail duty. If I'm bushwacking, or will be out for awhile I take the DAS, as it's outer shell is much toughter.
    Don
    PS come to think of it, I haven't used the micropuff at all since I got the DAS

Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

Locale: North East

Isn't this jacket comparable to the DAS? I was trying to pick a winter jacket and I'm in a bit of a bind too.

Granted, I don't plan on winter hiking this season because I just haven't been able to afford all the gear I need (I only started a couple months ago) That's why I'm just gonna get a Montbell UL Thermawrap! I like the pockets :)

I think it will be warm enough for a New England winter. Does anyone have any experience to confirm this? I'm a warm person generally and figure getting the Coccon Pro Parka may keep me too hot..

David Passey

@davidpassey

Locale: New York City

I have both. The DAS is a much more substantial parka in terms of shell durability. The hood is terrific.

My one gripe: the liner is very fragile. I found that my whiskers rapidly frayed the liner of the collar to a fuzzy, tickly mess.

–David

Jon Rhoderick
    BPL Member

@hotrhoddudeguy

Locale: New England

Has anyone tried the new montbell flatiron parka? It has 120 g insulation, and it looks like a trim cut, the great thing is that its only 22 ounces and 170 bucks. It seems like the perfect fit in between the micro and DAS, and it comes with a stuff sack that is about 170 cubic inches.

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

>>Granted, I don't plan on winter hiking this season because I just haven't been able to afford all the gear I need (I only started a couple months ago)

Dude, I'm in the same boat. I'm going to sell 2 guitars that I don't play any more to finance all this stuff I need to buy. It's cool though, I have a small army of instruments in the house, but lack gear for hiking.

Anyone want to buy a Les Paul? ;)

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

Jeroen: Man, you're confirming my fears here. It sounds like the DAS and the vest/jacket combo are *both* needed depending on the activity and weather. I was hoping to get one or the other and be done with it. Still might try it if it's safe to do so.

Jonathan, Christopher, Donald, David: Sounds like you vote for the DAS. I agree that, given that I'm new to this, it's best to be over prepared rather than under prepared. I suppose if I got the DAS and found it to be overkill I could add the vest/high loft jacket combo to my closet later.

Andrew: I just don't think my thermawrap will cut it in the 'Dacks this winter. It gets pretty cold up there.

Andrew, Jonathan R.: Those both look pretty good too, but the Patgonia stuff is in stock at the store right across the street from where I work, so I can try it on before buying it (elsewhere online for far less $$$). I think the Cocoon might not fit my torso well (see the too tall soap opera in the ID Thru Hiker thread). Not that I'm not taking this stuff seriously, but I might just buy the DAS and be done with it. I found one for $175, so…

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

No way that cocoon pro is as warm as a das either. Just look at insulation amounts to get a decent comparison.

My cocoon is nice. I like it. But it's no winter beley parka.

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

Is this:

http://www.landsend.com/pp/Weatherfield153QuiltedJacket-56919_173475_59.html?CM_MERCH=PAGE_30841

very similar to the micro puff, or is it my imagination?

It may not be ultralight, but it's ultracheap and I like that too!

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

It also says it will only keep you warm to +10 degrees with a light layer under.

If price is an issue to you check out Wild Things. They are having some pretty good sales on their winter Belay jackets (you will probably have to call for details). My fiance' has the belay and loves it. While it does not have the long coverage of the DAS, she never seems to mind. If there was a world without Pataguch DAS parka's I would buy a Wild Things Belay jkt.

http://www.wildthingsgear.com/index.html

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

>>It also says it will only keep you warm to +10 degrees with a light layer under.

Yeah, I should have been clearer. I was just thinking that, if I bought a DAS I could still buy a Lands End primaloft piece and still, more or less, have a piece that works like a Micro Puff jacket.

It's funny that you mention that Wild things is cheap. I just had a look at their prices on the Hooded EP Jacket and couldn't find anything as cheap as the DAS for $175.

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

On their home page it says 40% off EP and Belay jkts. You will have to call them to order.

Eric Falk
    Spectator

@zerolimit

David, can you post where you end up buying the das from or pm with the info. Would like to buy one as well, just haven't had the time to look around for one one sale. Would appreciate the help if you could. Thanks in advance, Eric

Jon Rhoderick
    BPL Member

@hotrhoddudeguy

Locale: New England

What are the two guitars your selling……

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

Ha! I'm selling:

1. A 1982 Gibson The Paul. It's in mint condition.

2. An early '90s Hamer Cruise Bass with the 2TEK bridge. It's new old stock, barely played. I bought it as a back up for my other Hamer Cruise, but never needed it. It has EMG pickups. It's so much better than an Fender Jazz bass that it's sick. This is the only bass that Bass Player magazine ever gave a perfect review too.

Ironically enough, they stopped making this bass because, despite the fact that the bridge is one of the single best engineering innovations in bass guitar history, people didn't like it because they *thought it was too heavy*!

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

Eric, I'd be happy to help…once I make sure that they have more than one in stock. ;)

Paul Tree

@paul_tree

Locale: Wowwww

Jonathan said:"Has anyone tried the new montbell flatiron parka? It has 120 g insulation, and it looks like a trim cut, the great thing is that its only 22 ounces and 170 bucks. It seems like the perfect fit in between the micro and DAS, and it comes with a stuff sack that is about 170 cubic inches."

DUDE! stop me!

Ryan Teale
    BPL Member

@monstertruck-2

Locale: Almost Yosemite

I was hanging out at the Ventura shop today checking everything out. I think now that the Micro Puff line has gained weight I wouldn't bother with the hooded Micro Puff and go straight for the DAS. I didn't have a scale but holding the two side by side and trying them both on they seemed very close in weight. The listed difference between the two is about 7 ounces but the features and warmth of the DAS are worth it.

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest
    Jeff Vince

@ac_doctor

I bought a new ranger green Patagonia DAS Parka from Diamondback Tactical for $148.00 plus shipping.
    They took them off their website but they have them on sale at their Peoria Arizona location. The C.S. lady said if they didn't sell, then they would relist them in a couple of weeks. Who in the heck would be buying that cold weather gear in AZ anyways? ;)

AC

Donald Browning
    BPL Member

@docdb

Locale: SE USA

I consider that Ranger Green DAS one of my favorite internet finds. If you want to blend in, it's a relief to get some outdoor clothing that's not black or Neon!
    Don

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools