Topic

Polycryo Elesticated Backpack cover :)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Polycryo Elesticated Backpack cover :)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Gary Yelland
    Spectator

@tacblades

ok so now I have caught the polycryo bug

Here is the next thing, backpack cover, channels made in the edge, threaded with 2mm bungee cord, and a cord toggle.

The corners are turned in before channel so the shock cord is exposed at each corner, so I can stake it down for a mini ground sheet, or as a mini gear tarp :)

turned out really nice, and no shocking color that came with my backpack lol.

Foot Box

Foot Box

Foot Box

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Looks good. In prolonged rain, the pack will still get wet from seeping in from the exposed portion.

Kenneth Kuan
    Spectator

@kkcy93

Have you tried using this? How is it turning out? And what tape did you use to make the channels?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

One bush or branch and it's a goner. Good luck. Did you pre shrink it with heat or will you shrink wrap your pack?

Gary Yelland
    Spectator

@tacblades

I haven't actually used it just experimenting with polycyro

:)

Kenneth Kuan
    Spectator

@kkcy93

What shape is the Polycryo itself? I might try to make this with the excess polycryo just to see how it works.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

> One bush or branch and it's a goner.

You'd have to be somewhat careful, but I used a hefty bag as a pack cover on brushy trail and it never tore. I used polycro as a ground sheet and it seemed surprisingly resistant to puncture and tearing. As long as you're not bushwhacking in thorny stuff it ought to work fairly well. And it's cheap enough to make another one.

Gary Yelland
    Spectator

@tacblades

was just a rectangle of polycyro just an odd scrap, would be better if if was shaped.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> One bush or branch and it's a goner.
    Of course plastic film is a silly idea. It will never last or stand up to use on the trail. Couldn't possibly work. Fool idea.

Then some silly begger goes and tries it, and finds it actually works….

That's what I like about MYOG at BPL.

Cheers

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools