Topic

Midwest GGGG May 1-3

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Midwest GGGG May 1-3

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

We will have a Midwest GGGG the weekend of May 1-3 at Esofea Park in Vernon county Wisconsin. It will also offer a chance to attend the Midwest Tenkara Fest in nearby Coon Valley on May 2-3.
    I have reserved sites 19 and 20 and the Park ranger will drop off a couple of wheelbarrows of wood for us. The cost is $15 per tent each night. You don't have to reserve any other sites as these should leave us plenty of room to spread out. It is set up for self registration. Our two sites are right next to a gorgeous trout stream. It is also the opening weekend of trout season is Wisc and the Driftless Area has a lot of public access.
    As for the grilling, how about brats with beans one night and steaks the other? Let us know who is interested so we can get everyone covered. If you wish to eat backpacking food go for it, but that would be a bad choice. I can pick up steaks again if you wish(Josh). We can work out the details for breakfast etc as time goes on. Below I have the links for Esofea Park, Midwest Tenkara Fest(although their website isn't finished yet) and some pictures I took when my wife and I camped at Esofea last fall.
    We hope to see a bunch of BPLers. Maybe include a gear swap and sale too.

http://www.mwtenkarafest.com

http://www.vernoncounty.org/parks/ER.htm

https://www.flickr.com/photos/d1948n/sets/72157648770287594/

http://www.mwtenkarafest.com

Jonathan Chin
    BPL Member

@jonrc

Locale: Northwoods

David,

That sounds fantastic to me! Know anything about the hiking in the area?

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Jonathan,
    If you go on the Vernon County Parks website I know a couple of them have a fair amount of hiking trails.

Jonathan Chin
    BPL Member

@jonrc

Locale: Northwoods

Deleted. Repeat post.

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Jonathan,
    No, all of my hiking has been up trout streams.

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

I will probably bring along my teardrop camper(car camping light) since it has a galley. I also have a 10 x 10 canopy we can set up if the weather isn't real good.

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Ok as of now, Mark R and granddaughter
    Doug and Me(Dave)

Those of you who want me to bring steaks will have to let us know. I'm thinking steaks Friday night and brats for Saturday.
    Cost is $15 per tent per night. Self registration. We also will have 2 wheelbarrows of wood brought by the park staff. If needed we can order more.
    Josh just let me know he won't be able to make it. Mark, if you bring the eggs I'll bring some sausage and potatoes and make an egg bake the 1st morning. We could do pancakes & polish sausage the 2nd morning. We'll settle up on $ when we get there.

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Locale: Arrowhead

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Josh,
    Eggs and elk bacon sounds great. I can call ahead and have 2 more wheelbarrows delivered. I forgot about your 10" high fires(LOL).

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/fishing/regulations/

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I intend to reimburse David for my Steaks and brats. I have a small flock of Rhode Island Reds and Floppy Joe says the girls and her will be happy to supply the eggsFloppy Joe

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I can bring my alarm clock alsoFabio

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

He's probably not any louder than your snoring.

doug thomas
    BPL Member

@sparky52804

Locale: Eastern Iowa

I think you're bringing the trailer just so you can have a bit of a sound break from the snoring.

doug thomas
    BPL Member

@sparky52804

Go ahead and get the steaks and stuff for me too, I' ll pay you back when we meet up. I can take care of the plates and condiments. I'll take care of the beans too, if that's what everyone wants.

doug thomas
    BPL Member

@sparky52804

Does the site have electricity? Maybe I can bring the Keurig and a big screen.

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Doug,
    They have some sites with electricity but not the corner we're in. I'll try to get a large coffee pot.

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

The Midwest Tenkara Fest has added some more presentations.

http://www.mwtenkarafest.com/presentations.html

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

The list of presenters is now complete for "The Midwest Tenkara Fest". It will be a combination of live and video presentations.

http://www.mwtenkarafest.com/presentations.html

Josh has had to drop out of GGGG due to another commitment. Anyone who wants to be included in the grilling should let us know so we can get you covered for food. As of now it's just Mark, Doug and I. There will also be some people from the Tenkara Fest in the same campground, including a guy from Iowa with a teepee.

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Locale: Midwest -or- Rockies

My girlfriend and I may join. Was thinking of going to Midwest Tenkara Fest and just saw this. If we come we will be bringing the new Yama Mountain Gear Swiftline and I will have my new Elemental Horizons Kalais pack and Exped SynMat WinterLite among other things.

We will likely figure our own food situation out as we don't eat beef (normally) and don't know how long we will be at MWTF.

KJ

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Ken, we would love to have you and your girlfriend join us.

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

I am planning on grilling steaks Friday night with baked potato and a caesar salad and then breakfasts Sat and Sunday morning. I am thinking bacon and eggs and pancakes and sausage. Saturday evening I plan on eating at the Tenkara Fest. It also looks like some of the guys are planning on fishing for awhile on Monday. We will need a head count for the meals probably by April 23rd.

doug thomas
    BPL Member

@sparky52804

Anyone else interested?

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Please let us know this week if you are coming so we know who to look for. I will be the guy in the teardrop camper (car camper light) in either site 19 or 20. If you want to be included in the steak fry then I need a head count. Hope to see you there.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

I would REALLY like to meetup with youse guys but there's just too much life happening up here to get away for a weekend and it's too far for a day trip. Next time?

Jim Colten

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Locale: Midwest -or- Rockies

Myself and my GF will be there. Not sure if we will show up late Friday night or after MW Tenkara Fest on Saturday. We will be the couple with the green and gray Yama Mountain Gear Swiftline. I think we will cover our food since our arrival time may vary.

I will also be there with a virgin Elemental Horizons Kalais, Exped MW SynMat WinterLite, HMG Pillow Stuff Sack, etc. Yay, new gear!

KJ

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools