Topic

Anker 3200mAh “Lipstick” Battery – Record Low Price on Amazon

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Anker 3200mAh “Lipstick” Battery – Record Low Price on Amazon

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

Locale: SoCal

The Anker Astro Mini external battery dropped to $11.99 with free Prime shipping today, which according to CamelCamelCamel is an all-time low. Get it while it's hot!

This is a great size for an external battery—it's enough juice to charge a SteriPen Freedom and iPhone 5S one time each, with a little left over.

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Locale: Arrowhead

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Remember that with these Amazon links, many of them may be affiliated links meant to make a commission off you clicking through them. To remove the affiliated portion, cut off the link after the product/number. For example the first link above would be changed to http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005X1Y7I2 to not give a commission to the poster.

Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

Yes, that is a referral link. I suppose I should mention that in the post—I guess that's one of those border cases. Sorry if I misled anyone, that wasn't my intention. I keep a bunch of CamelCamelCamel price watches going and realized I was posting a bunch of Amazon links, so decided I might as well sign up for an affiliate account. Not trying to spam, and I never post anything just for the sake of referrals that I wouldn't have posted anyway.

Barry P
    BPL Member

@barryp

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)

Yes. These are great for a day. The only thing that drives me crazy about them is after 3 days, they lose half their capacity! I.e., they have a high self-discharge rate. I wish there were some that didn’t self-discharge after, let’s say, a month.

My wife just plugs hers in every night to keep it fresh.
    And so I bought another Ankler last June, and it also self-discharges. So it can charge my wife’s Note phone on the first day. But if the Ankler sat 3 days, she could only charge her phone 1/2 way. The phone has a 2500mAhr battery. So keep these Anklers plugged in every night.

-Barry

Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

Can anyone else corroborate what Barry said?

On the amazon page the question was asked "If an Anker charger is fully charged, how long does it hold the charge, if it is left idle i.e., you don't charge any device?"

The answer from Anker:

Generally, most of our external batteries' static power consumption is lower than 100uA, which will take between 3.5 and 20 years to drain the battery completely if they are not used. However, the chemicals within the li-ion battery will gradually become less active over prolonged periods without use. Most will die in 2 years of inactivity. To extend your battery's life: 1. Charge and recharge it at least once every 3-4 months. 2. Do not over-charge or over-discharge it. It is best to keep it charged between 5%-95%.

Knowing for sure would make a difference whether or not this would be useful on a multi day backpacking trip.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I can't speak about that particular Anker product. However, typical lithium batteries that have been properly charged and discharged have a self-discharge rate of about 1% per month when they are relatively new. As time goes by, this may increase. When they have been charged and discharged poorly, they might go to hell in more of a hurry.

–B.G.–

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

My Anker holds a charge just fine; in my case static discharge is a non-issue.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

S I that's so weird, your deletion campaign. You take from the community that you pay to be with. Don't be concerned with BPL the corporation. They are not important. We are.

Any other suggestions for a back up power source? I have an iTouch that I would like to recharge in the field.

Ralph Wood
    BPL Member

@visualscapes

Locale: Northern CA

Ken, after doing a fair amount of research I settled on an EasyAcc 6000 power bank last summer. I get around 3 full charges for my iPhone 5. It also has a 2 amp output which charges your device at a faster rate than the 1 amp batteries do. The built in led light is a nice bonus, and is surprisingly bright.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H963GT0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s04?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's not available anymore but there's some other newer versions.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Thanks Ralph.

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Locale: Arrowhead

Todd Ondick
    Spectator

@bigwindy

This very dilemma really drove phone choice for me. Do you want to carry the external battery pack or a spare battery?
    Which choice weighs more, is more complex, or is more likely to fail for the user, when needed?

Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

The black one is back up to $15.99, but don't lose heart! The gold is $11.99 now.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools