Topic

BRS-3000T stove Spotlite Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable BRS-3000T stove Spotlite Review

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 183 total)
  • Author
    Joe S
    BPL Member

@threeridges

Thanks. Oddly enough, a site search on gearbest using the stove name or model # does not pull it up, but you can find the link by typing BRS 3000t into google.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

Thanks for the heads up. I just ordered two for $23 as well.

Brad Clarke
    BPL Member

@ekralcb

Locale: Eastern Ontario

Has anyone that has ordered this stove in the last week actually had it ship?
    My order has still not shipped.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I ordered mine on Feb. 26, and the tracking status just says "Shipped."

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> I ordered mine on Feb. 26, and the tracking status just says "Shipped."
    I don't thik they are sent FedEx…
    Takes a few weeks normally for ANYthing out of China or HK.

Cheers

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

I ordered mine Feb 22nd and it shipped Feb 25th, with an estimated 10-25 business days for delivery. I can post when mine arrives, but I'm not expecting it any time soon

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I ordered min on the 26th as well and they show that they are shipped.

Clifford Deakyne
    BPL Member

@cliffdeakyne

Locale: Colorado Rockies foot hills

I ordered one on Feb 26 as well and was notified that it shipped on March 1. The shipping notice said 10 to 25 business days, so I'd guess it will show up near the end of the month.

Cliff

Brad Clarke
    BPL Member

@ekralcb

I ordered two on Feb 26th, but I also added a folding windscreen to the order for one of my other setups. I'm guessing that might be holding up the order.

I contacted their support to verify if that's the case.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

could be held up by the longshoreman port strike and subsequent backlog…

billy

jimmer ultralight
    Spectator

@jimmer

Longshoreman and conatainer ships don't handle US International mail parcels(thank God).

Almost all of that stuff is flown across the Pacific.

Nathan F
    BPL Member

@nathan-f

Mine took right at a month to arrive in Atlanta.

[ Drew ]
    BPL Member

@43ten

Locale: Central Valley CA

I ordered this stove on February 18th from amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NNMF70U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and received it on March 6, so about 15 days or so.

Weight is exactly .90oz for the stove and .1oz for the stuff sack. Quality seems great from my initial inspection.

Brad Clarke
    BPL Member

@ekralcb

Got a reply from Gearbest.

An item from my order is out of stock, so the order won't ship until the item comes in.
    ETA 7 – 15 days.

They won't split shipments like DX and Fasttech do.
    Oh well, there's still 2 feet of snow on the ground to melt….

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

My stove arrived at the post office on March 18 (I chose tracking, which required a signature). So it took 20 days to get here after I ordered it. Funny, but it was mailed from the Netherlands. Hmmm…maybe GearBest has a warehouse set up in Rotterdam to take care of internet orders?

Anyway, it looks fairly well made, but I'm not quite sure what metals it is made from (I'll go back and re-read Roger's writeup). The support arms are likely titanium, due to the tell-tale patina from doing a couple of timed boil tests. The burner seems different, and the vertical body yet another type of metal. I like the brass valve pin, the aluminum threads not so much.

All in all, it seems like it will work fine, providing I take care with the aluminum threads. The price is right.

Brad Clarke
    BPL Member

@ekralcb

My order is also coming through the Netherlands. I should have it sometime this week.

Apparently how it works is that bulk packages are shipped out of Hong Kong to the Netherlands, where they are sorted and then dispatched to the destination country.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

My stove arrived today. It shipped Feb 25th. The package says it shipped by "Air Mail". I suppose that must mean "hot air balloon". For $15 shipped from China though, I shouldn't complain

Anyway, it works and it is tiny! Mine weighs 26g.

Edit: my shipping comment is not a knock against Gear Best – I assume they have no control over international shipping delays

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Someone above stated that parcels from China come by air (hence would have bypassed the West Coast longshoremen's strike), but I've had a lot of small parcels out of China taking weeks longer than normal this Spring.

Edited to add: I JUST got, today, April 7th, some batteries I ordered out of Hong Kong on February 25th. Much slower than usual. The packet said, "BY AIR MAIL PAR AVON" but I strongly believe these $2 items with no shipping charge go by surface based on the usual, 3-week delivery time and the longer delivery times during the West Coast dock strikes. They were lithium batteries, so they aren't supposed to ship by air, but I know second-teir US firms do that as well (versus a Westmarine or REI that follows the rules). And they were labeled "Gift" which they weren't.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

Ordered two from gearbest, thanks everyone for the info and code.

Looking forward to trying it out with my Firelite 1350!

Holocene .
    Spectator

@holocene

Locale: Georgia

So I just got one of these off of amazon and the stove has GRS on it as the name brand. The packaging and the bag it comes with say BRS, the construction and the weight is the same. Anyone else seen this?

Edit;Nevermind, guess its just a funny looking B?

Ian Clark
    BPL Member

@chindits

Locale: Cntrl ROMO

It took just over a month for me to receive mine.

I found the release of cold gas on my fingers during cansiter installation and removal alarming, but maybe I can refine my technique.

As of yet, performance unknown.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I chased up about the brand some time ago. There have been mergers and so on, so the company name has been evolving. Happens everywhere it seems.

Cheers

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

OK, so I guess I will start the performance sub-thread for the BRS-3000T stove. Last week I fired it up on my patio in 50* F ambient temperature/mild breeze conditions. I just did 4 tests, to see the results of high, medium, and quite low flame settings. I used 2 cups of 50* F tap water for each test, and I weighed the canister before/after each boil. A Snow Peak canister was used, and it was about 1/2 full when I started. The elevation was (and still is) 5440'.

Results:

Medium flame: 8 grams of fuel used, time to boil: 8:15 minutes. The wind caused the flame to dance and flutter somewhat, which likely altered the efficiency.

This first test proved to me right away that the breeze affected the stove's performance. For the remaining tests I used a sort of wind screen made from roofing angle flashing (or whatever it's called) that protected 3 sides of the stove and pot)

High flame: 8 grams of fuel; time to boil: 3:45 minutes
    Medium flame: 6 grams of fuel; time to boil: 5:00 minutes
    Very low flame: 6 grams of fuel; time to boil: 6:30 minutes

My thoughts:

The BRS-3000T probably won't replace my beloved SP Gigapower, but at < 1.0 oz, it might be carried as backup stove for any trip longer than a few nights.

I don't think the stove would have remained lit on the very low setting if there was a brisk wind.

The stove is pretty noisy, regardless of the flame setting.

The flame pattern spreads out at medium and high flame settings.

The stove is light.

The stove is quite inexpensive

The stove is cute.

So I bought 3 more to give to friends. Because they are functional, light, and cheap. And did I say cute?

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Gary, thanks for time taking the time to write up your test results. I've got a BRS-3000T in the pipeline somewhere. The chance to drop 2 oz. for little cost was too good to pass up.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

No problem, Dondo, I'm glad to help further the knowledge base regarding this stove. As Roger has noted, the stove's threads are anodized aluminum, and not brass. I don't think this will be much of a issue if proper care is given.

However, I'm not sure that this stove can really compare to my Snow Peak Gigapower. Although mine, with its integrated MYOG windscreen, weighs about 4 times as much at 3.9 ounces, its performance blows away the BRS-3000T. With my Giga, I average 5.67 grams per boil, which happens in 3:25 minutes. Also, it is a steady and dependable setup.

Still, a 24 gram canister stove is nothing to scoff at, and I think this little guy will certainly find its place in my arsenal. Because it's so damned cute…

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 183 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools