Topic

Anyone use Yaktrax, Yaktrax Pro or Stabilicers for traction on relatively flat trails? Light crampons?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Anyone use Yaktrax, Yaktrax Pro or Stabilicers for traction on relatively flat trails? Light crampons?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 51 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

>>Anyone else have any experience with this design?

James, I've had the same experience as you.

Kristina Nethaway
    BPL Member

@kneth

Locale: 10,200'

I've worn Yaxtrax. and Yaxtrax Pros for a few winters. The Pros don't get lost as easily, but can get clogged with wet snow, and they do move around on my shoes, feels like slipping sometimes. Due North shoe covers are better, but I've lost spikes from those. Yes, it's possible to order more…I've had best luck with the shoe spike method others have mentioned found here: http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm and I've just found a better screw here, http://www.magicracing.com/Kold-Kutter-38-Ice-Racing-Screws-250-Pack_p_60111.html ,more expensive than hardware store sheet metal screws, but cheaper than any of the commercial shoe covers. One problem- if you think you might need snowshoes further up the mountain, you'll need to bring an extra pair of shoes, or invent a bootie to cover your studs, and protect the deck. It's not perfect. Just so you know, Breckenridge has the best early season snow in a decade, come see!

Viewing 2 posts - 51 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools