Topic

Locus Gear Khufu cuben mid w/2p inner and Dual Pole setup (first impressions)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Locus Gear Khufu cuben mid w/2p inner and Dual Pole setup (first impressions)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@sponge

Locale: PNW

I ordered this setup a few weeks ago, and it shipped approx. 2 weeks from the time I placed the order…Yuki was great to work with, answering all my questions promptly and combining shipping with the CP3 poles I also ordered. Shipping was free for orders over 30,000 JPY, so that helped keep the cost down.

Measured weights as follows:

Cuben mid = 10.3 oz
    2P mesh inner = 12.9 oz
    DPTE setup = 3 oz

This is with all stuffsacks and guylines attached.

There were no instructions included, but I managed to get it setup in pretty short order in the backyard. The dual pole setup allows for much more usable space inside the mid and inner. It's a bit fiddly, but I will probably use it a lot this summer taking my daughter or my pooch with me on trips. The poles do not fit snugly into the DPTE, I'm assuming to allow for a broad range of pole tips. This compromises stability a touch, as they are pressed to about a 5* angle when setup. The DPTE and poles are both carbon, so we'll see how this all holds up. Craftsmanship appears to be top notch…I didn't see a single loose thread or mis-stich anywhere. The aqua zipper for the mid slides pretty smoothly as well. All in all, really happy with the quality, field testing will commence very soon!

Things I plan to change: Swap the DPTE cordage for lighter spectra cord. Add grommets to the pole jacks to make a more secure connection with the pole tips.

Pics:
    Khufu
    Khufu vent
    Khufu strap
    Khufu guyline attachment
    Khufu w inner
    Inner guylineKhufu2

Dan Sanderson
    Spectator

@freefromwalls

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Great setup! Was looking at Locus Gear before I acquired my MLD Cuben Duomid + Cuben Duo Inner on here a month ago. I was looking at the DPTE setup for poles and have heard that people have used them in the MLD's before. Please give us an update once you get it in the field a few times.

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Locale: Laniakea

Looks great!

I think I finally have the pitching with the DPTE sorted out now, with CP3 poles set to 130/130. Stake the Khufu out with the corner stakes, then undo the zip. Assemble DPTE and poles with poles together. Grasp both poles around the mini-baskets with right hand so poles are parallel and together, and hand is also grasping both ends of the carbon tubes of the DPTE to hold them against the baskets/flanges, and hold apex of tarp in left hand. Locate the hinge of the DPTE In the apex, and get the front pole working to support the apex. Swing the rear pole base/handle in a counterclockwise semicircular arc around the right end of the tarp floor, until it is in about the right position. Let go and tidy up the base locations.

This process minimizes the hassle factor, which can be significant, much better than having to pitch with short poles, then get inside and extend them when pitched. But I only perfected it yesterday on my prototype octa-mid, and haven't yet checked it on my Khufu.

I've also found Yuki to be great value. I'm interested to learn how well the grommets work. I've found the DPTE/CP3s angle to not be a problem in wild winds with the Khufu, though slightly detracting aesthetically. If you substitute 1.2mm cordage from HMG for the guys, I've found it works well, but will slip in strong blustery conditions thru the linelocs, especially on the corners to windward.

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Dann – I use GG LT4's with GG's pole extenders in my MLD DuoMid. Works great.

Looked at the price that the Khufu is going for at current exchange rates. If I was in the market for a new Mid, the Knufu looks like a good value at $395 vs. $440 for a new DuoMid.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Those of you who use the dual pole set ups – do you still leave the 2-person inner net attached? One of the beauties of the 'mid is the ability to leave that inner net attached, just throw up the pole and tada! no more fuss.

But I am hard-pressed to see how to do that with the inner net attached. Especially the Locus Gear DPTE – how would you use the cord at the bottom (to keep the poles from spreading too far apart)? It seems like a real PITA if you leave the inner net in there all the time.

[ Drew ]
    BPL Member

@43ten

Locale: Central Valley CA

Doug,

Thanks for posting. I have been considering this exact setup or possibly the Khafra/inner. With your setup, including the inner mesh, is there decent room for two people (6' guy + 5'9" girl)? I'd also like to know how the DPTE works when the mesh inner is attached and if there are any issues with that.

Also, which inner did you get: the silnylon, taffeta, or ripstop, and why?

Thanks!

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I own and like the Khufu, but I'd say no there isn't "decent" room for two. Most mids of this size (Khufu, DuoMid etc) are pretty tight for two. Even for one person length will be a small issue at 6'0". The single high point doesn't work well for enabling two people to sit up at the same time. The combination of a single high point, bare minimum floor area, single side door and no vestibule space makes it a shelter that is really only good for two in friendly weather if at all.

I'd seriously consider Locus Gear's Khafra for two.

[ Drew ]
    BPL Member

@43ten

Dan,

Thank you for the details. I was hoping the DPTE would make it work for two, but it seems clear that the Khafra or Apollo + inner would be the way to go for us as far as Locus Gear is concerned.

On that note, how do you like yours? Any reason to go with MLD instead?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Drew,

Here's a long winded and detail obsessed write up of my Khufu:

Into Cascadia | Locus Gear Sil Review

Christopher *
    Spectator

@cfrey-0

Locale: US East Coast

As an aside …

Dan, nice looking site. I miss the scooters (or VW bugs or what ever you old site was … I just remember it was something esoteric and collectible. LOL.)

Seriously though, nice looking site.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Thanks Chris.

Scooters are still happening too (motorscooterguide.net)

Simon Kenton
    BPL Member

@simonbutler

"Seriously though, nice looking site."

+1, great writeup on the Khufu

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

Just curious if anyone with the Locus Gear DPTE can tell me what the length of the carbon fiber poles on the DPTE are?

Tony Campana
    BPL Member

@velodadi

Locale: Lowcountry Carolina

Stick,

They are 11 7/8 inches long. They are made of aluminum. The inside diameter is a hair smaller than the outside diameter of a MLD pole jack.

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

Thanks Tony. Any chance if you know if the carbon fiber ones are the same length/diameter?

Tony Campana
    BPL Member

@velodadi

Locale: Lowcountry Carolina

Sorry, can't help on that question.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have the carbon DPTE; I'll measure tomorrow and repost.

Chad B
    BPL Member

@cenazwalker

Locale: Southwest

Is anyone using the DPTE without the pole handle baskets? It's seems those aren't really necessary with the tension of the shelter, plus the poles can be velcroed to the tarp.

[ Drew ]
    BPL Member

@43ten

I just received my Khufu Hapi + DPTE, but I've only set it up a few times. I didn't notice this before ordering, but the pole handle baskets have a webbing loop on the out-facing side. The instructions indicate that you take the tie-outs adjacent to the pole handle baskets and run it through the webbing loop of the basket and then stake it down. This is to secure the A-frame and cinch it down with the side-mid panel(in between the 4 corners) of the tent.

I haven't tried it yet, but I'll see how well it works without the handle baskets today and see if there is any appreciable difference. I would imagine that if pitched on a hard or smooth surface it'd be possible to have the A frame spread out too much, but when I pitched mine on grass it seemed to dig in a bit so that it'd be okay without the handle baskets.

Edit: here's a pic to explain – forgive the sloppy looking pitch; my first attempt outside on uneven ground. The red circle is the area referred to above. The tieout/stake loop here passes through a small loop, emphasized in blue in the pic, that is sewn onto the pole handle basket and then is staked to the ground.khufuhapi1

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

Resurrecting an old thread.  My son is using a sil Duomid and Duo innernet for Philmont this summer.  He’ll be with another scout.

I ordered the DPTE to give them more room and, hopefully, prevent them from knocking down a single center pole at night.

Anyone have pictures of it with a duomid inner?

Andy H
    Spectator

@drewjamicks

Locale: Southwest

As a matter of fact I have a few pics of that very same setup for you to check out. Cheers!

View post on imgur.com

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

Thank you, Andy. Any advice on setup and are you happy with it?

David P
    BPL Member

@david-paradis

Great thread resurrection! Nice pics and info…

I would like to try the dual pole setup without the DPTE to make the interior space a little better when I bring my son out this year.(he’s small) i have Duomid plus duo inner. Has anyone tried this successfully? Is a cord along the ground linking the handles of the two poles necessary to keep them from spreading apart? There is no pole handle basket integration like in Locus Gear, but I think I could retrofit something…

When solo I’ve grown accustomed to the center pole after 15+ years of using pyramids and don’t mind it. I’ve never knocked it over, and I’m a thrasher at times shifting positions during the night :) with a child  in there I don’t want to take the chance of a midnight tent collapse though…

With the inner attached there is a smidge of vestibule space for me at least for shoes and a couple small packs. Not a true vestibule but it’s covered space outside of the smallish innernet.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

I was hoping my son could leave the inner attached with the possible exception of the peak attachment, using the DPTE.

My theory is, stake out the 4 corners, install the poles and DPTE, then attach the peak of the inner.  Tighten, adjust, lather, rinse, repeat.  I would think unhooking the peak would make installing the poles easier.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I have a Duomid with the Solomid XL inner and use two trekking poles without the DTPE or any cordage.   I assume that it would work with the Duomid inner, but can’t be for certain.

I’m not sure how big your son and the other scout is but the Duomid is pretty tight for two people.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools