Updated Review for New Version
- A review of the newest version of the Arc’teryx Proton LT Hoody can be found here (published February 22, 2020).
The Arcteryx Proton LT Hoody is our highest rated all-purpose active insulation jacket. It performs well at a wide range of activities and has durable fabrics and insulation. It is a versatile workhorse! We used the Proton LT Hoody more than any other jacket during our two-year test period. It excels at active pursuits in cold weather and it performs well for three-season activities if you also carry a windshell or hardshell. Overall, we highly recommend this jacket if increased versatility and durability are more important than either low weight for stationary uses or exceptional breathability for the highest exertion activities in cold weather.
If you want less warmth and increased breathability for the highest exertion activities in cold weather, consider the Patagonia Nano Air Light. If you want the highest warmth to weight ratio for mostly stationary use, consider the Nunatak Skaha Apex.
Features & Specifications
- 14.4 oz (408 g) in men’s medium
- 1.9 oz/yd (65 g/m) Coreloft Continuous insulation
- Highly durable and highly breathable 2.5 oz/yd (85 g/m) 40-denier exterior fabric
- Refined, do-everything features include: helmet compatible hood, two handwarmer pockets, adjustable waist, and full-length zipper
We tested this jacket as part of our Synthetic Insulated Jacket State of the Market Report (to be published on 3/25/2018), which compared fifteen of the best jackets over two years of hiking, climbing, mountaineering, packrafting, backcountry skiing, and ski mountaineering. Our testing sought to answer the following questions:
- What’s the best all-purpose synthetic insulated jacket?
- What’s the best lightweight windproof synthetic insulated jacket?
- What’s the best active insulation jacket?
- What’s the best synthetic insulated parka?
Description of Field Testing
We tested this jacket over 19 months and used it for at least six weeks of multi-day backcountry trips. Activities included hiking, backpacking, climbing, mountaineering, packrafting, and ski mountaineering. Due to its excellent performance, high durability, and versatility, we used this jacket more than any other we tested.