There are several chemicals suitable for water treatment: most of them work as 'oxidants'. That is, the chemical has a high enough redox potential that it can cause damage to the DNA of the offending bugs. This makes them 'pesticides', and to be sold in America these need EPA approval (as discussed previously). In general, the products rely on one of several chemicals:

  • Iodine
  • Chlorine
  • Chlorine dioxide
  • Silver
  • Hydrogen peroxide
  • Others

There is a hazard with the use of any chemical treatment. If the water is full of organic matter the chemical may be absorbed into that matter and may not manage to kill all the bugs. For this reason chemical treatment should only be used on clear or filtered water.

ARTICLE OUTLINE

  • Introduction
    • The Taste - or Smell
  • Iodine
  • Chlorine
  • Chlorine dioxide
    • Chlorine dioxide safety
  • Silver
  • Hydrogen peroxide
  • Others
  • Summary

# WORDS: 3570
# PHOTOS: 3

--- End of free preview ---
Member Exclusive

A Premium or Unlimited Membership is required to view the rest of this article.

MembershipLogin