The SplitFin SplitWing UL Tarp is a modular 24 oz (680 g), 1-2 person shelter that attempts to bridge the gap between minimalist tarps and fully enclosed tents.
It sets up more easily than a flat tarp and is more adaptable to varying conditions than a traditional double-wall tent due to its modular nature. It is intended as a one-man shelter but can be used by two gram-conscious hikers, especially if one of them is tiny or using a three-quarter length pad.
You can use the groundsheet for cowboy camping, the bug net interior on clear nights, the tarp as a floorless shelter, or mix and match depending on your specific needs or comfort levels. Similar to a traditional A-frame shelter, the SplitWing uses a minimum of four corner stakes and a guyline at each end. Depending on camp and weather conditions, you will need four to ten stakes.
- Modular system (bug net and tarp can both set up independently)
- Dual silicone coated (both sides of the fabric)
- 30d reinforcements at stake out points
- Duel trekking pole setup (one front and one back – handle down)
- Fixed geometry on foot end makes it easy to get a taut pitch
- Open front end allows for adjustable height pitch
- The “wings” act as a partial awning in more mild conditions
- Fixed ground sheet attachments in the rear, adjustable in the front
- Traction tabs on the groundsheet
- Bug net connects to tarp with a toggle and ring system
- You can leave the bug net connected to the tarp for easy storage and faster setup
- Variable floor space and headroom depending on pitch
- Floor area can vary from 27- 32 square feet. This is determined by the height of the front trekking pole which should be adjusted to give about 41- 47 in (105-120 cm) of head room
- Capacity: 1 – 2 people (two is a tight fit)
- Tarp: 10D Nylon 66 Ripstop Sil/Sil
- Tarp reinforcement areas: 30D Nylon 66 Ripstop Sil/Sil
- Mesh body fabric: 15D Nylon No-See-Um Mesh
- Floor: 20D Nylon Ripstop PE 1800
- Vestibule: 10D Nylon 66 Ripstop Sil/Sil
- Coverage: 90 in (228.6 cm) plus an additional 10 in (25 cm) from the wings
- Total Length (including vestibule): 120 in (304.8 cm)
- Floor Dimensions: 90 in x 60 – 72 in (at head) 36 in (at foot), 228.6 cm x 152.4 – 182.9 cm (at head) 91.4 cm (at foot)
- Headroom: variable, 41-47 in (105-120 cm)
- Floorspace: variable, approx. 27-32 sq ft (2.51-2.97 sq m)
|SplitWing Tarp||8 oz (226.8 g)||8.63 oz (244.7 g)|
|Bug net||10 oz (283.5 g)||10.27 oz (291.1 g)|
|Vestibule||2 oz (56.7 g)||2.07 oz (58.7 g)|
|Ground Sheet||3.4 oz (96.4 g)||3.81 oz (108 g)|
|Included Stakes (6)||No Claimed Weight||2.7 oz (76.5 g)|
|All Components||22 oz (652 g)||23.67 oz (671 g)|
* All components were measured in the supplied stuff sacks.
I would sum up the SplitWing’s strengths in two ways:
- the lightweight, water-resistant, double-coated material; and,
- the modular system and smart design features aimed at maximizing versatility.
A Premium or Unlimited Membership* is required to view the rest of this article.
* A Basic Membership is required to view Member Q&A events
Home › Forums › Slingfin Splitwing UL Tarp Review