The new Six Moons Designs Comet Pack builds on the success of their current Starlite Pack, which our editor Jay Ham found to be “a standout with the highest comfortable load carrying capacity of any backpack tested by Backpacking Light”.
Like the Starlite, the Comet has optional aluminum stays available which allow it to be either a lightweight frameless pack or an internal frame pack.
In the Comet the sleeping pad pocket is moved to the inside of the pack, allowing the addition of center-mounted shoulder straps that adjust to fit torsos 15 to 20 inches. The Comet at 3700 cubic inches is also a little smaller pack than the Starlite at 4100 cubes. Outside mesh pockets have a little more capacity, and the pack is constructed of lighter weight fabrics like 70 denier silnylon.
Like the Starlite, the Comet looks impressive, and will likely land on our list of favorite packs. Look for a full review this summer.
Features and Specifications
- Style: frameless or internal frame, top loading, dry bag top closure
- Two removable aluminum stays
- Three outside mesh pockets
- Center-mounted shoulder straps adjustable for 15-20 in (38-51 cm) torsos
- Removable padded hipbelt
- Lumbar pad
- Inside sleeping pad pocket
- Inside security pocket
- Fabrics: body 70d silicone nylon, high wear areas 420d pack cloth, extension collar 30d silicone nylon
- One size, volume 3700 ci (59 L)
- Measured weight without stays 22.3 oz (632 g), with stays 27.1 oz (768 g); manufacturer specification 22 oz (624 g) without stays, 27 oz (765 g) with stays
- MSRP $170, stays $10