Perhaps you have noticed that ultralight frameless backpacks in the 3,000 cubic inch category are scarce. At 3,200 cubes (52 L) and 13 ounces, the new Six Moon Designs Essence pack fills an important niche, providing just the right volume for one to three night ultralight backpacking trips.
We have come to expect real innovation in Six Moon Designs gear, and the Essence does not disappoint. The new pack is a panel loader, with a drawcord closure, and also has a large top pocket. The design provides easy access to contents, and has a total of six roomy outside pockets for good organization and convenient storage.
Some optional features under development include a detachable sternum strap and removable dual aluminum stays.
I took the Essence on a January test run bushwhacking in southern Utah canyons, and found a lot to like, both in features and durability. Look for an in-depth review in spring 2006.
Specifications and Features
- Style: panel loading with drawcord closure
- Volume: 3,200 cubic inches (52 L)
- Weight: 13 ounces
- Fabrics: 420d pack cloth, 70d silnylon, 30d silnylon, and nylon mesh
- Pockets: large zippered top pocket, three mesh side pockets, two large zippered hipbelt pockets
- Three interior straps secure a sleeping pad to the backpanel to help create a “virtual frame”
- Weather flap over the frontpanel has a bungee system for extra attachments
- Contoured shoulder straps
- Unpadded hipbelt
- Hydration port
- MSRP: $120
- Contact: http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/