Podcast 019 | Jeff Garmire and the Long Trail Unsupported FKT
Today’s guest is Jeff Garmire (trail name Legend). In the summer of 2019 Jeff achieved the fastest known time on Vermont’s iconic Long Trail, clocking all 272 miles in five days, twenty- three hours, and forty-eight minutes. Prior to that he set unsupported and over-all FKT on the Arizona Trail, completed the Great Western Loop, and completed a Calendar Year Triple crown, among other accomplishments.
When he isn’t hiking, Jeff is a public speaker and hiking coach / mentor. He also just released a book called “Free Outside: A Trek Against Time and Distance,” which chronicles his Calendar Year Triple Crown.
Ryan and Andrew talk to Jeff about the nuts and bolts of his Long Trail FKT before transitioning into a conversation about mental health, relationships, and the philosophy of speed records.
- The Long Trail FKT
- Features of the Long Trail (terrain and tread)
- Managing expectations and disappointment
- Treating each day as its own effort
- Hiking without sleep
- Mantras as a way to stay present during hard pushes
- Jason Fitpatrick’s film Unsupported
- Gear access
- Foot care and foot problems
- Sleep and mile management
- Mental challenges (time of day)
- FKT – Philosophy and Motivation
- Pre-announcement, electronic tracking, post-announcement (trip report)
- The FKT Community
- Jeff’s Calendar Year Triple Crown and other adventures
- How long distance hiking affects Jeff’s relational life
- Family support
- FKT backlash and how Jeff responds
- Why attempt an FKT – mental reward
- Transferable lessons
- “The antidote for depression is action”
- Long distance hiking and mental health
- Jeff’s plans for the future
- He wants to attempt the Barkley Marathons, which has only been completed 18 times by 15 runners.
- Jeff’s website – www.freeoutside.com
- Jeff’s instagram and facebook profiles
- Jeff’s youtube account
- Jeff’s book
Feedback, Questions, Tips?
- Backpacking Light – Executive Producer
- Ryan Jordan – Director and Host
- Andrew Marshall – Producer, Host, and Editor
- Jeff Garmire – Guest
- Look for Me in the Mountains – Music
Sponsors: Help us Keep the Podcast ADVERTISING-FREE!
- This episode of the Backpacking Light Podcast is supported and kept advertising-free by Backpacking Light membership fees. Please consider becoming a member which helps support projects like this podcast, in addition to a whole slew of other benefits!
- This episode of the Backpacking Light podcast iis also brought to you by Douglas Fir trees. Douglas Firs: they make it smell like Christmas!
- In addition, some of the links on this page may be affiliate links that refer to our partner merchant retailers. If you follow a link and then make a purchase, we receive a small commission which goes a long way towards helping us pay for podcast production, hosting, and bandwidth fees! Thanks for supporting us in this way!
- This episode is
You can contact us at [email protected], or follow us on social media –
- Backpacking Light – Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
- Andrew Marshall – Instagram | Twitter | WWW
- Ryan Jordan – Instagram | Twitter | WWW
- We do not accept money or in-kind compensation for guaranteed media coverage: Backpacking Light does not accept compensation or donated product in exchange for guaranteed media placement or product review coverage.
- Affiliate links: Some (but not all) of the links in this review may be “affiliate” links, which means if you click on a link to one of our affiliate partners (usually a retailer site), and subsequently make a purchase with that retailer, we receive a small commission. This helps us fund our editorial projects, podcasts, instructional webinars, and more, and we appreciate it a lot! Thank you for supporting Backpacking Light!