National Geographic has long been known for their excellent Topo! mapping software for Macintosh and Windows computers. They are releasing a major upgrade to this fine product in version 4.0 for both Macintosh and Windows platforms. Version 4.0 will be released for both Windows and Macintosh computers on February 10, 2006. When you purchase any state or region in the series, the package will include software for both platforms. If you already own Topo!, Window’s users can upgrade and start enjoying the new features of version 4.0 now; Mac users will be able to upgrade their version 3.x software soon after the full product release.
The single most obvious enhancement to the software is the addition of 3D displays of maps along with the ability to do fly-overs along routes on your maps. While this is a wonderful whiz-bang feature, serious users of the software will likely find the many other improvements from the greatly improved look and feel of the Mac version to the extensive support for map and software updates much more valuable. Topo! is now integrated with the TeleAtlas streets and roads database that includes roads from super highways down through forest service roads. As roads change, this database will be updated allowing Topo! users to get the updates through the Live Map updates feature for free. Live Map also lets you upgrade your software as changes are released and update USGS quads as new ones for the states you own are released. Topo! already supported good printing of maps and with the use of Adventgure paper home users could print high quality, tear-resistant, waterproof maps. Topo! now expands this feature with support for "maps by mail" with options for the user to print his or her maps on a variety of paper stocks including waterproof paper and laminated stock in sizes from regular to very large format. Numerous other changes to the ease of use and overall look and feel of Topo! have been made.
Topo! version 4 running on a Macintosh showing off the 3D map display.
Features and Specifications
- Version 4 will be released February10, 2006
- Upgrades for Windows users are available now; Macintosh upgrades will become available shortly after the full product rlease date. Upgrades will cost $20 per state.
- 3D map views and fly-overs of maps
- Integration with the TeleAtlas streets and roads database
- Live Map updates which update software, USGS quads, and the TelAtlas street database
- Support for GPS devices has been greatly expanded.
- MSRP $100 per state or region. Software for both Macintosh and Windows platforms is included.