Montane calls it “the world’s lightest weight fully waterproof and breathable outdoor shirt”. Is it really a shirt? At a claimed weight of just 6 ounces (size large), the Montane 180 is similar to the Patagonia Specter Pullover (at 6.5 ounces, size medium), and a close contender for the coveted title of lightest woven fabric hooded rain jacket. Both jackets use a polyurethane-only waterproof/breathable membrane, and have similar features.
In our upcoming review of the Montane 180 I will take a hard look at its features and performance compared to the Patagonia Specter Pullover that we recently reviewed. How do they compare for performance, weight, and value?
Features and Specifications
- Water-resistant chest and pocket zips
- Active cut with dropped tail
- Roll-away adjustable hood with wired peak
- Fleece lined collar
- Zippered security pocket
- 13.5 in (34 cm) zippered chest vent
- Elastic drawcord hem, elastic cuffs
- Shell Fabric: FREEFLOW® Lite, 1.7 oz/yd2 (57 g/m2), 20d x 20d ripstop nylon face fabric; Gelanots GX-PR waterproof/breathable coating on the inside, Teflon DWR finish on the outside
- Measured weight 7.1 oz (201 g) size L; manufacturer’s specification 6 oz (180 g)
- MSRP $166.50 US