Jacks ‘R’ Better is introducing an interesting complement to their wearable No Sniveller quilt – down sleeves. The sleeves use 800 fill power down and a simple design. They look like a couple of sleeves removed from a down jacket except for "tethers." Each sleeve has two short elastic straps with Omni-tape tabs (like non-scratchy Velcro) sewn to the shoulder opening. The strap attached to the top of the shoulder opening of each sleeve runs behind your neck and can stick to its mate on the opposite sleeve, or to the Omni-tape neck opening on the No Sniveller quilt. The JRB Sleeves are available in three sizes, and sleeve length can be further adjusted when wearing the No Sniveller with the Omni-tape tabs. The second set of tethers attached to the sleeves aren’t needed when the sleeves are worn with the No Sniveller, but can be used in a sternum-strap configuration when the JRB Sleeves are worn with a vest. Each sleeve has six down compartments formed by sewn through top and bottom seams and two horizontal seams. Each down compartment is nicely puffy. The sleeves are loftier at the cuff, presumably since the No Sniveller covers the shoulders.
The Regular length sleeves are a good fit for my 32-inch arms. I secured both sets of tethers and the sleeves stayed up even when I swung my arms around wildly. Since the tethers are elastic, it is a simple matter to pull the sleeves down over my knuckles for some hand warming power, although that move creates some ventilation at the shoulders when wearing the sleeves with a vest. The sleeves are sized to fit over a base layer, but those with skinny arms may be able to wear a midlayer as well.
The sleeves in conjunction with the Down Hood Jacks ‘R’ Better is also offering, convert the No Sniveller quilt into an in-camp parka at a cost of only 7 ounces. Jacks ‘R’ Better suggests wearing the whole set under an oversized jacket such as the DriDucks rain jacket, for even more warmth.
Features and Specifications
- Manufacturer: Jacks ‘R’ Better
- Weight: 4.9 oz (139 g) measured per pair, size Regular; manufacturer specification 5 oz (142 g)
- Sizes: Long, sleeve length 34-35 in (86-89 cm); Regular sleeve 32-33 in (81-84 cm), Short sleeve 30-31 in (76-79 cm)
- Fill: 800 fill power down
- Loft: 2.9 in (7.4 cm) double layer loft measured at the center of each of the three down compartments and averaged, then averaged for both sleeves
- Fabric: 1.1 oz/yd2 (37 g/m2) ripstop nylon with DWR treatment
- MSRP: $79.95 (Introductory price $69.96 per pair)