Hillsound Trail Crampon Ultras are mid-weight, mid-traction crampons designed for improving traction on unstable footing due to rain, mud, snow, and ice. Ultralight hikers typically wear minimalist shoes in all conditions. While light on the feet, minimalist footwear can be safety-compromising on steep routes with poor traction. Adding Hillsound Trail Crampon Ultras to minimalist shoes improves traction while maintaining a lighter overall weight than boots.
Trail Crampon Ultras feature largest-in-class traction teeth, an adjustable instep strap, and extra traction points at an affordable price.
Features and Specifications
- Velcro strap for added security
- Welded double-link chains
- High-strength stainless steel withstands use on rock and mixed terrain.
- Elastomer harness stretches easily over most footwear.
- Wide posterior heel plate with three spikes and a mid heel plate with three additional spikes for secure downhill traction
- Carry bag included
- Steel toe bail
- Spike material: Stainless steel
- Spike length: .5 in - .62 in (1.27 - 1.67 cm)
- Number of Spikes: 18
- Harness material: Elastomer
- Weight (pair, size small): 14.25 oz (422g)
- Measured weight (pair, size small): 14.10 oz (400g)
- MSRP $69.95 (in stock at CampSaver)
- Review Context
- Description of Field Testing
- Performance Assessment
- Product Strengths & Limitations
- Compared To
- Tackling deep snow instead of slippery ice? The Crescent Moon EVA snowshoes are an interesting take on winter footwear.
- Our community has a ton of collective experience hiking in the snow. Lean on their expertise!
- You can purchase the Hillsound Trail Crampon Ultras at CampSaver.
- How we acquired these products: Product(s) discussed in this review were either acquired by the author from a retailer or otherwise provided by the manufacturer at a discount/donation with no obligation to provide media coverage or a product review to the manufacturer(s).
- We do not accept money or in-kind compensation for guaranteed media coverage: Backpacking Light does not accept compensation or donated product in exchange for guaranteed media placement or product review coverage.
- Affiliate links: Some (but not all) of the links in this review may be "affiliate" links, which means if you click on a link to one of our affiliate partners (usually a retailer site), and subsequently make a purchase with that retailer, we receive a small commission. This helps us fund our editorial projects, podcasts, instructional webinars, and more, and we appreciate it a lot! Thank you for supporting Backpacking Light!
Member's Only Content
Login as a Premium or Unlimited Member to read the comprehensive Performance Assessment and Author Commentary sections of this review:
Member's only version is 2,180 words and includes 9 photographs.
After returning the Hillsound Trail Crampon Ultras to Darren, I instantly bought the first pair he was able to order. Even if I bought new boots, I wouldn’t want to ever be without this pair of crampons again. Since purchasing my pair, I’ve worn them in a variety of conditions on winter boots, hiking shoes, and trail runners. They perform equally well on all three.
I’ve walked across frozen lakes and up ice heaves in the Hillsound Trail Crampon Ultras and have not slipped a single time. Everywhere I walk it feels like I have solid footing underneath. I would not recommend these as climbing crampons by any stretch of the imagination, nor are they ideal for absolute ounce shavers. But for slippery scrambling and backcountry trekking, they are an must.I think the Hillsound Trail Crampon Ultras beautifully walk the tightrope between weight, functionality, and durability—especially when compared with competitors. For these reasons, I highly recommend the Hillsound Trail Crampon Ultras.