Topic

Zpacks Vertice Rain Jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Zpacks Vertice Rain Jacket

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Dylan Atkinson
    BPL Member

@atkinsondylan

Locale: Southwest

New rain jacket from Zpacks found here.

From Zpacks:

• Built from our 3-Layer “Ventum-WBP” waterproof breathable fabric. This material is constructed with a tricot lining to wick moisture away from your skin, a waterproof, vapor permeable membrane in the middle, and 7 denier ripstop nylon on the exterior.
    • Incredible 60,000 g/m^2/24hr vapor transfer per test JIS L 1099 Method B1. This breathability rating blows away most other rain gear, including our previous generation fabrics.
    • Fully waterproof, 20,000 mm hydrostatic head rating.
    • Durable, effective “C6” water repellent on the exterior.
    Jorge Villalobos
    BPL Member

@minusfive

Paging @richard295 ;)

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

If it sounds too good to be true…

mike p
    BPL Member

@mike-plowright-2

The price tag seems quite high for a rain coat, though if it has that much breathability it would also (hopefully) undoubtedly work great as a wind jacket. If it’s that breathable, pit zips might be redundant. That said, it’s 7D on the outside which makes me question its durability. I have concerns about DWR dependent jackets, though.

At 6+oz and $300 USD, I feel like it would be smarter to opt for one of, say, Luke’s Ultralight rain jackets for less weight and significantly less cost. A Norvan SL Rain Jacket by Arc’teryx comes in at a similar price point and is 2oz less; less “features” but doesn’t rely on DWR so probably has more long-term usability.

That said.. If I had that much disposable cash, I’d definitely give it a go. But, being Canadian the exchange and shipping kicks me in the nuts very, very hard so I don’t see that being a realistic scenario any time soon.

Matthew S
    BPL Member

@battlerattle

Ditto on paging “@richard295.” I thought this jacket was supposed to made form the RBTR Micro 10 material.

Bradley Danyluk
    BPL Member

@dasbin

Yeah, it’s clearly not the Micro10 material, which is not 3-layer (and obviously has different specs). Seems to be something entirely new.

Anyway, personally, I’m feeling entirely done with buying any DWR-dependent raingear. With things finally moving away from that direction, it’s just stopped making any sense to me to drop a bunch of money on something that’s just going to wetout and become as useless as any other cheap jacket.

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

$300.00 is a lot to pay for a rain jacket.  If I’m gonna pay that, I feel like I should put that money toward a company with a lifetime guarantee like Outdoor Research.

The permanent beading surface jackets are interesting, but either too fragile (Norvan SL ) or apparently not breathable enough (Columbia Outdry)

Thomas Willard
    BPL Member

@tomw

Locale: Philadelphia

That price tag is a tough pill to swallow. I’ll stick with my 5.8oz Frogg Togg jacket.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

If I’m going cottage, I would take Luke’s stuff over this jacket all day. Either in eVent or Micro10. $130 less is a chunk of change.

Gary Pikovsky
    BPL Member

@gosha007

Locale: New Hampshire White Mountains

Wow, BPL has gone flat for sure. In BPL heydays, this post would have had roughly 500 interested, skeptical, excited and all other kinds of replies. Wake up people!!

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Actually, 60.000 using the B1-method, isn’t new. In fact, the Flashpoint-fabric used on the 1st gen. Rab Flashpoint-jacket had similar specs.

James Schifferns
    Spectator

@schiffej-2

“The permanent beading surface jackets are interesting, but either too fragile (Norvan SL ) or apparently not breathable enough (Columbia Outdry)”

I’ve got one of each.  I do NOT find the Norvan SL to be too fragile and the Columbia Outdry breathes very well.

surf1div1
    BPL Member

@surf1div1

Locale: Southern California

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I own this jacket and it is far from “waterproof”. It wets  in snow and anything from light rain to…?.suffice to say it states retreat it with Grainger’s in the wash. After 3 uses? Give me a break. Worst investment in Zpack I’ve made and would never recommend.</p>

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools