Topic

ZPacks Vertice Rain Jacket Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable ZPacks Vertice Rain Jacket Review

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    David Hosmer
    BPL Member

@novohoz

Companion forum thread to: ZPacks Vertice Rain Jacket Review

This ZPacks Vertice Rain Jacket review is comprehensive and addresses long-term performance, breathability, DWR, and more.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

thanks for the review; appears you definitely want to size up with this jacket

it’s a shame Rab quit making their Flashpoint- also three layer (but no pit zips) at a pretty svelte 6.8 oz (size XL)- fortunately mine is still going strong after four years :)

eventually it will give up the ghost; when it does, I’ll definitely take a peek at the Vertice

in regards to leaving home a windshirt- it would have to be a very unique set of circumstances to ever leave mine at home; my hardshell there are a few trips where it’s left behind

wayne R Clark
    BPL Member

@waynowski

you can get 15 denier rain shells for not much more weight…. and way more durability…

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Yeah, well for about $100. LESS and half an ounce more weight I’ll take the Outdoor Research Helium rain parka. Better cut and at least as good in quality and breathability.

But thanks for this in-depth article that lets us know all the pluses and minuses of the jacket.

I guess it’s an OK jacket if you have a short neck… ;o)

Murali C
    BPL Member

@mchinnak

We really need a review of after market DWR. Will an application of after market DWR prevent wetout when wearing the rain jacket for a month long hike where there is 10 hour rain say for 5 days and another 5 days of intermittent rain while wearing a 25 to 30 lb weight.

If the after market DWR will protect me in the above scenario, then it is worthwhile to buy a DWR rain jacket and apply after market DWR before every trip. If the after market DWR is not going to help, then it seems like it is not worth it.

Better to stay with non-breathable rain jackets or outdry or shakedry or DCF ponchos….which are at least waterproof.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

In my own experience Grangers spray-on DWR is a bit better than REVIVEX, this is the DWR spray that W L Gore recommends.

Also I’ve found these two seem to work better than wash-in NikWax DWR.

Murali C
    BPL Member

@mchinnak

So Eric – after applying the DWR – will you feel comfortable taking it to Pacific North West? How long will the DWR last – month, multiple months or a year?

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

Eric B, I’m glad you mentioned the spray on DWR. I thought it was my imagination after using Graingers on my dead bird Goretex in-town rain jacket (Paclite), as it seems to last longer and still going strong after 6 months. I’d always used Nikwax wash-in, too, but 4-5 months and the shoulders wet-through. As much rain as the southeast is getting this winter DWR performance makes a real world difference. I agree that a comprehensive test of DWRs is long overdue.

I do wish the Vertice had been compared to it’s real competition, the Montbell Versalite. I’m fairly broad chested/shouldered and the Versalite large fits very well with even a thin fleece on. The Vertice had my interest until I read about the skinny-man torso, much like cycling jackets. Why did they do that? Did ZPacks only measure dudes at the end of their CDT trip?

Cheers
    Bill in Roswell GA

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Here in Nevada I only wash my eVent and GTX gear once a year with NikWax wash, dry them, spray on Grangers, let air dry and pop them into the drier for 10 minutes to “set” the DWR.

For the PNW I’d be doing this at least twice a year for the amount I hike, ski and backpack.

Murali C
    BPL Member

@mchinnak

Eric – thanks! I will try your formula and see how it fares.

I like Zpacks products and have wanted to give the Vertice jacket a try for some time now.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

I’ve been using the Vertice in the PNW for about 2 years now.  I have found it to be a great jacket, and I’m a heavy sweater, the pit zips are absolutely essential for me.  Note that I often combine it with an umbrella, so I don’t have to use the hood, and I do not bushwhack at all, although after the winters, there are enough down trees that it can be more like a jungle-gym than a trail, depending on where I’m hiking.  I am absolutely not a slim-line hiker, and have found enough room to wear a light base layer and a 100 wt fleece, although things can get a little tight around the hips. I have refreshed the DWR, and have used the Revivex spray on product.  I’m a little intrigued by the Granger’s product, and may try that next time.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools