Topic

ZPacks Sonic Stakes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ZPacks Sonic Stakes

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Don Burton
    Spectator

@surfcam310

Locale: City of Angels

I know these just came out but I’m wondering if anyone has used them in the field yet. Zpacks says not to hammer them but that’s mainly what I’m wondering about.

I’ve been using MSR mini groundhogs have hammered the @#$* out them for about 50 nights and I’ve only broken the head off of one which is pretty good to me.

Do these stand up to that? Is Zpacks disclaimer just in case?

Scott Kilcoyne
    BPL Member

@scottx

Locale: Indianapolis

I saw them last night and ordered them. Hopefully I’ll get them in time to take on my Smokies trip next week, if so, I’ll report back.

Alex Willows
    BPL Member

@bigggbird

Locale: Tasmania

Following this thread with interest, the design looks great, just depends on their strength I guess!

Don Burton
    Spectator

@surfcam310

Locale: City of Angels

Thanks Scott. Let us know.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Yep, practically identical spec to Mini GroundHog.

Around here, if I could not hit stakes to get them into the ground then I wouldn’t be using them at all.

My approach with stake placement is to start off by tapping lightly to see if the stake will go in, then gradually increasing the force of the taps until it ‘feels’ as if the stake can’t take any more without bending. Fairly easy to tell if it just isn’t going to go in. But occasionally even Ti skewers will penetrate granite or shale that is somewhat rotten.

Similar stakes on Amazon (7″)… I have used some like these (larger GroundHog dimensions) and they are perfectly fine.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Very interesting. They are ~3g lighter per stake. I wonder where the weight savings comes from. I’m a huge fan of full-size Groundhogs but I’ve bent a couple of the minis in the rocky soil of Arizona. I’m skeptical about using the ZPacks variant here. I will be interested to hear more about them.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Yes…the significant weight reduction is very interesting. 0.24oz vs 0.35oz (Mini GH).  Nevermind the nearly 50% weight reduction compared to GroundHogs and the Amazon versions that are both just 1″ longer.  To my mind the only viable explanation is the Alloy used.  Will be interesting to hear real-world usage reports.

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

Man!  I just ordered the carbon fiber ones from Zpacks the other day…Why do they keep coming out with new stuff!  My wallet is hurting!

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

I picked up a set. I do always feel somewhat resentful if four stakes come up over the oz – so I’ll give these a crack.

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

Size vs groundhogs.

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

I learned that its all about “tapping.” In construction I occasionally have to embed a 6′ copper grounding rod and when you whack it hard your hammer bounces back. Tap tap, tap, and it is amazing when you see all 6 feet slowly and easily sink in. I still use my Ruta Locura Sorex 9″ carbon stakes, but as I lost several last year I am considering changing (they don’t like getting hit sideways). Carbon tent stakes and carbon  trekking poles do lessen nervousness about airport confiscation. On the Treklite forum they seem to favor Eastons. Oftentimes I think that length matters the most so I am not sure I would like that 6″ blue thing shown in the picture above.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Easton’s seem to be getting hard to find for some reason.  I have had good luck with them over the past nine years or so though (knock on wood).

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Easton’s seem to be getting hard to find for some reason.  I have had good luck with them over the past nine years or so though (knock on wood).

When have Eastons not been hard to find?  I’ve sometimes wondered if I’d have to buy a new Tarptent just to get another Easton or two, not that that’s the worst fate I could suffer.  :^)

John Rowan
    BPL Member

@jrowan

I picked up a set (due to be delivered Tuesday or so) that I’ll be taking out on a 700-ish mile PCT section, so I’ll have some feedback in a few weeks.

Thst said, it IS the PCT, so it’s also very possible that they’ll never even touch dirt, since I cowboy camp anytime it’s at all possible.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Re: photo posted by @landrover

Pretty easy to see from whence the weight savings are derived…the Zpacks stake is significantly narrower in addition to the (previouly known) shorter length.  Will likely be easier to wiggle into the cracks of rocky grond, but that’s not really the conditions where Groundhogs are favored.

I see them as another option…they don’t really replace anything.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

JCH, I believe that photo shows the Sonic next to a full size Groundhog next a Mini-Groundhog.

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

It does Matthew. I don’t have a minimgroundhog. I’m would see them as a good replacement over shepherd hooks but not replacing a full size groundhog.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

“…next to a full size Groundhog next a Mini-Groundhog.”

Oh.  Nevermind. :)

Scott Kilcoyne
    BPL Member

@scottx

Locale: Indianapolis

Got mine in but they arrived while I was gone on my 4 day trip so I didn’t get to use them in the field. They are 100% identical in shape and size to mini ‘hogs….just lighter.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

In poor weather (which is the only time I use a shelter) a shelter is only as good as the stakes. A stake the vendor says bends easy and do not hammer them in — sorry, I’ll pass. Save 0.1 ounce and have your shelter collapse in the wind… that’s stupid light.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools