Topic

Zpacks quietly released a new Altaplex Tarp last fall.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Zpacks quietly released a new Altaplex Tarp last fall.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    YoPrawn
    Spectator

@johan-river

Locale: Cascadia

I got mine in 0.75 DCF with a bathtub floor, and a trekking pole jack. Total weight of tarp, jack, bathtub, and stuff sack is 14.5 ounces. (minus stakes)

pics of mine on the first setup in the front yard last year. Since there is no floor or bug net, setting the trekking pole way out at an angle increases the living space by up to a foot, width wise. Plenty of room for solo trekkers.

https://imgur.com/a/YXlexOG

I also have a regular Altaplex, but since the floor is permanently attached, it has limited use in deep snow. I got the Altaplex tarp in 0.75 as a 100% winter-condition only shelter. It works brilliantly as an “igloo-cap” in deeper snow. Set it up flush with the snow, even dug in a little, and you only have to dig down a foot in the snow to equal the living space of a regular, high-pitched Altaplex. Dig down more for as much room as one desires, if the snow pack is deep enough.

The reason I went with this tarp is because I wanted it for doing winter snow treks into the Olympic mountains. Usually my approach is in the rainforest, in predictable rain. I might sleep one night down low before finally getting higher up into the snowpack on the following day. Then when up higher, sometimes I can expect a foot of wet snow getting piled up, thus the 0.75  DCF instead of the 0.55. So far, this is one of the lightest tarps I can find that’s just tough and large enough for me to use it in the snow. The only possible weak link in the system is the strength of the trekking pole jack, compared to the rest. If it breaks, I can easily lash on my second trekking pole for something that would be much stronger.

I’ve managed to keep my winter base weight to less than 12 lbs, and the burly, lightweight tarp really helps keep it down at that weight compared to using a true 4-season tent.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Thanks for the info.

YoPrawn
    Spectator

@johan-river

Locale: Cascadia

Here’s a video of the Altaplex Tarp in use. Really hits a nice sweet spot for living area and weight. The blue one is 7.6 ounces.

YouTube video

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools