Topic

zpacks "plex" series bottom hole problems?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) zpacks "plex" series bottom hole problems?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

Locale: Santa Barbara

I have been reading a bit tonight about cuben fiber and pinholes.  I would like to hear from plex tent users if they are having problems with developing holes in the floor of the tents when not using some other material between the tent and ground.

Kenneth Keating
    Spectator

@kkkeating

Locale: Sacramento, Calif

My Duplex developed a pinhole hole in the bottom after about day 18.  Now the hole could of been there long before that as that was the first.  I have not been able to find the hole.  It may not be the fault of the material:  it could of been caused by a sharp pine needle or rock.

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

Matt, I’m a new duplex owner and had some concerns about a cuben floor before pulling the trigger too. I readily accept the extra care needed in UL gear for the lightening of my pack. If you do some reading on Zpacks sight they are quite candid on the longevity expectations and caring for your Zpacks shelter floors. Although not always necessary they do discuss using ground sheets or suggest small damage can easily be repaired with cuben tape.

IMO its a matter of accepting the possibility of some small abrasion or penetration damage along with an easy but cosmetic repair or using a ground sheet of a variety of weights to lessen that possibility. Either way, now that I have mine, I don’t think it would have impacted my decision to buy one.

Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

I am just curious to hear the sort and long term feedback from actual users.  A lot of the sad stories I read were not related directly to the 1.0 osy cuben used in these floors, so I thought I would just poll the community about this specific experience.  I have recently purchased a solplex and am debating for my 10 day trip in the Sierras (High Sierra Trail) to carry a incredible weight penalty of about 1 oz of polycro sheet underneath for some additional protection.

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

I have recently purchased a solplex

Cool, thought you were still deciding whether to buy. Sorry. Have a great trip!

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

It is hard for me to believe that a 1 ounce polycro groundsheet provides much protection from anything pointy.

I hiked the JMT last summer (21 nights) in a ZPacks Duplex. On the final night rushed because of an incoming storm at one of the tarns above Guitar Lake and ended up in an area that funneled a good 1–2″ of water for several hours under our tent. The bathtub remained totally watertight despite the fact my inflatable pad was literally floating above the ground during the storm. It was an odd and uncomfortable feeling but we stayed dry inside the tent.

I sold the tent after I returned so I cannot speak to the longevity past the first 21 nights on the trail but I don’t think the cuben is particularly fragile given some common sense when setting up and maybe a couple cuben patches in your repair kit.

Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

Great feedback Matthew King.  My thoughts with the polycro was for long term abrasion.  I figured polycro on cuben  less abrasive than crushed granite, sand and such against cuben.  Again, I was looking at reports from people who were using thinner materials and not the 1 osy zpacks material.  The fact that it is water tight after 21 days is nice, certainly hoping for more than that.  I do know the area you traveled, and have to believe you spent more than one night on hard pack and/or small pebbles.  Very similar to where I will be going.

I am also realizing that on a trip like this the polycro could pick up and hold small abrasives, so i may not really be saving anything in the long run.

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

I am also realizing that on a trip like this the polycro could pick up and hold small abrasives

Mark your downside with a piece of duct tape or similar and always use it the same way. You will lessen the chance of grinding against impregnated debris. Folding the dirty side in controls dirt transfer to other gear too. I used kite tyvek ground cloths like that cause the one bad thing is they have a fuzzy side that loves to grab onto stuff.

I found a heavier 1.5mil window film at HD I am going to try.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-E-O-Heavy-Duty-Patio-Door-Shrink-Kit-V86-18/204856298?keyword=v86%2F18

sorry for the drift.

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

I now have about 14 nights in my Solplex, and the floor seems fine.  I do use a Tyvek groundsheet, though.  I would feel lucky if I got enough backcountry nights to wear out the floor in a tent.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

I don’t keep track of such things but I’d estimate I’ve got about 75 nights on my Duplex.

Early on I was convinced to go native and not use a groundsheet and it has worked out okay. I camp on grass and duff that has a lot of sticks, rocks, acorns and the like, and have not had a problem. I usually prep a campsite by picking up the bigger sticks, twigs and rocks but am not super picky about the rest. However I can see how it might be a different situation if camping on a more abrasive surface such as granite or sandstone.

Honestly I don’t worry about small pinholes. I have only spent a couple of nights in the Duplex with thunderstorm deluges and have not had a problem. If it was going to leak, it would’ve been then.

One thing I always do is place my Evazote (CCF) long sit/dog pad in the high-use entrance area, which is obviously where I’m most likely to place a hand, knee, butt or foot on the floor and grind that precious Cuben into a rock or something.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools