Topic

Long Brush Resistant Rain Jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Long Brush Resistant Rain Jacket

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Pedro Arvy
    BPL Member

@pedroarvy

Locale: Melbourne

I am after a light long rain jacket. Something so that when I walk in long gaiters only a small area above my knees to the bottom of the rain jacket is exposed. The ZPacks Rain Jacket Long and the Sierra Designs Cagoule seem the likely candidates. The other option is a Luke’s ultralight custom super long Pertex Shield which he says has the durability of Paclite.

I wish I could try these on and look at the fabrics in person, but living down here in Australia that’s not possible. Cost is irrelevant in my choice.

Issues that do sway my choice are brush bashing strength – how would these hold up to a bit of off trail brush? Would they really last? I am not intending on using these for days of solid off track travel but I do brush up across the occasional bushy areas, particularly in Tasmania where the bushes can be a bit prickly. I have used a Golite Paclite 2.5 jacket and this is what I’d call the minimum in thickness for off track travel.

The more traditional alternative in these parts is something like this http://www.macpac.com.au/mens/jackets-vests/rainwear/resolution-xpd-ap-rain-jacket-mens.html but at 24oz that’s heavy.

Does anyone have experience with these longer style jackets and their tear/scratch resistance?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Pedro,

There aren’t a lot of reviews of the Sierra Designs jacket and chaps. The material is a polyester and nylon blend. The good is Sierra Designs is relying on venting the jacket instead of a water proof breathable material, which interests me. You might shoot Andrew Skurka a PM via BPL and ask him. He does consulting and design work for SD, and would give you an honest answer.

Andre Buhot
    BPL Member

@shadow-mkii

I was after the same thing so I had Luke make me a Custom jacket in Event.  It is 15.5 oz in its stuff sack and comes down to just above my knees.  Very very happy with it.

Pedro Arvy
    BPL Member

@pedroarvy

Locale: Melbourne

eVent is pretty tough stuff I imagine. Is that right Andre? At 15.5 oz with no features the material would have to be pretty thick and I imagine quite tough. The other option is his Pertex Shield that I could just tape up if it rips as often things don’t fail that badly and we worry too much. The Pertex would be lighter by perhaps 3oz I reckon. Not sure.

I saw some fairly negative reviews of the Cagoule since my post. People complaining about the fit and narrow shoulders. Sounds like a bit of a risk. Its also not quite long enough on second viewing. I wonder what the future of this garment is given Andrew Skurka’s good review.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I’m thinking brush will wear off the DWR on a jacket very quickly and wet brush will force water into the face fabric, making the face fabric wet out very easily, so maybe a non breathable material would make more sense. But maybe I don’t know what I’m talking about because i have never bushwacked in the rain for several days.

D M
    BPL Member

@farwalker

Locale: What, ME worry?

The cagoule is very lightweight and thin. I have one but haven’t used it much, but I do really like it, mind they are not sized large, I’m five foot ten and 170 pounds with  broad shoulders (18 in between shoulder seams) and the xl fits me but would not fit a man much broader than myself. And as you said it’s probably too short for your requirements, and you can have larger pit zips put in. I’d have Luke make you something closer to what you want. It is probably going to be more durable than the cagoule and will be the length you want.

Andre Buhot
    BPL Member

@shadow-mkii

My jacket has adjustable cuffs and a chest pocket. So I’m sure that adds to the weight.  But the eVent fabric seems reasonably robust and it still weighs less the 1/2 a litre of water.

I work in outdoor education and there are times that I am carrying 15+ litres in addition to my normal gear so I find the weights of gear all relative.

Lawrence Crowley
    BPL Member

@lawrie_crowleyhotmail-com-2-2

Locale: Victoria

G’day Pedro,

I’m also in Melbourne. Have you ever considered the Mont Tempest or the One Planet Torrent or even the new Wilderness Equipment Deluge Deluxe all great and built tough for our conditions… Although perhaps not that light. Then there’s the European/ UK brands like the Mountain Equipment who make some longer hillwalking jackets. Also a Haglofs make a couple of longer heavy duty jackets and my personal favourite the Norrona finnskogen

Lastly you could try the Arcteryx Theta SVX which looks surpurb (drool drool drool).

Hope it helps and give me a shout if you want to catch up for a coffee and compare UL notes.

Lawrie

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I make my own, but I agree, longer is better, down to a bit above your knees.  Warmer.  Keeps your pants pockets dry.

You need an elastic around your waist or it will flap around a lot.

And I always use long gaiters too.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools