Topic

Zpacks Hexamid Solo Plus Carbon Pole

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Zpacks Hexamid Solo Plus Carbon Pole

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Oliver P
    BPL Member

@durrrrduck

Hi all,

So I’ve just picked up a Hexamid Solo Plus tent and I’m looking to get a carbon pole made for it, firstly I’ve looked around and some places say it should be 52″, others day 53″ and I’ve seen some 48″. Can anybody confirm what length the pole needs to be?

Also when getting it made, I’ve got the option of how many joints / the length of the sections, do you think I should go for 5 short sections, 4 middle or 3 long sections. I think 3 longer sections would probably work best to squeeze down the side of my pack?

PaulW
    BPL Member

@peweg8

Locale: Western Colorado

Are you settled on having a fixed length pole?
    I have the Hexamid Solo (not plus) and I would not want to go with a fixed length pole. Although the cuben fiber doesn’t stretch, I’ve found that having a bit of leeway in pole height offers more and better options for pitching. My tie-outs all have adjustable linelocs and these, combined with an adjustable pole, allow for more pitching options than I originally thought would be possible with cuben fiber (DCF now). If bug pressure is low, I’ll frequently setup with a high pitch by leaving the mesh door unzipped and loosening the guylines. I easily get another couple of inches of headroom. If weather is really bad, I can do a lower pitch by setting the pole shorter and tightening the guylines. My pitches wind up being nice and tight in both cases. And sometimes I just wind up with a crappy site and having an adjustable pole allows a bit more freedom in my pitch.
    I know this doesn’t answer your question, but it might be something to consider. Good luck.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I bought a Hexamid 10 years ago and stayed with a fixed 48″ pole. I suggest you get something adjustable. I now longer have that shelter. I gave it too my son last year.

I currently use a .600″ diameter pole from Ruta Locura, with an adjustable pole jack. It has 4 sections. I can adjust it from 38″ (using only 3 sections) up to 58″ using 4 sections and the jack.

If you scroll down through this post on my blog, you can see pictures and other measurements. BTW, thicker center pole is better with a Mid shelter.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Stupid question…I don’t have a mid, but I used my trekking pole as the support for my Gatewood Cape.  Although it was an adjustable pole, I never changed the length – I simply changed the angle of the pole:

• Straight vertical for when I wanted lots of airflow and headroom
    • At an angle when I wanted to pitch it the whole way to the ground

If you had a fixed-length pole for your mid would this work?  If so, then longer is better because it would give you more flexibility.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I would call a Gatewood Cape a mid.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools