Topic

ZPacks Duplex/Triplex vs. HMG Ultramid 2 with Insert

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ZPacks Duplex/Triplex vs. HMG Ultramid 2 with Insert

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Gerke
    Spectator

@mtnrunner

Locale: Utah

I’m looking into getting a new shelter. Probably something that can fit 3 people.  I have two HMG packs that I absolutely love, best packs I have ever had. Since I like their packs I thought about getting one of their shelters.  I was also looking at the Zpacks Triplex which is suppose to be a great shelter.  So here are the comparisons.

Zpacks Triplex, 24oz, $700

HMG Ulramid 4 w/ insert, 48.8 oz, $1,360

I’m a little confused about the discrepancy in weight and cost of these two shelters.  Yes the Ultramid is a little bigger, I’m comparing a 3 person shelter with a 4 person shelter, but it weighs twice as much as the Triplex and costs almost twice as much.  A fairer comparison might be the Duplex vs the Ultramid 2.  The differences with these two shelters are still huge.

Zpacks Duplex, 21 oz, $600

HMG Ultramid 2 w/ insert, 38.6 oz, $1,110

I figure the Ultramid must be a lot more rugged shelter.  I know the HMG shelters would be very high quality shelters from my experience with HMG. Are they worth the spending twice as much and carrying significant additional weight?  Are the Zpacks shelters pretty durable?  They are really light for a shelter with a floor. If the Zpacks shelters are not too flimsy I will probably go with one of those. I’m having a problem spending twice as much money on a shelter that weights more. If they were close I would go with HMG since I have had good experience with their products but they are not close.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

A large reason for the weight difference is that the UltraMid + Inner gives you a double wall configuration, whereas the Triplex is a single wall. I’d start by deciding which of these basic designs you want. In a wet area like the PNW I much prefer a double wall so I don’t contact the regular condensation, but you might be fine with a single wall in Utah.

That aside, I wouldn’t recommend the UltaMid. I haven’t used it, but once you get up to 2-4 person shelters I don’t think a single pole style mid is the ideal design. There’s just not that much headroom. I’d look at multi-pole mids or light tents. Unfortunately there’s very few of these in cuben, so there is a major weight increase if you compare to silnylon. The TarpTent Rainshadow 2 is actually a 3 person shelter and it’s 42oz in silnylon.

HMG stuff is certainly much better made than Zpacks.

Serge Giachetti
    BPL Member

@giachett

Locale: boulder, co

The numbers don’t lie, the duplex/triplex are incredible for the weight. I’ve owned a duplex for about 3-4 years and have used it in just about every condition besides feet of new snow. The duplex with its 2 doors and vestibules is very functional space wise for 2, so the triplex should do well for 3. I would like to get a cueben mid for better snow shedding in winter, but I wouldn’t buy one if I was planning on using it primarily with an inner. The duplex just makes more sense weight wise, and also offers more versatility–you can open it up completely for nice air flow and views and you can close the doors for full weather protection. The bathtub floors also do a lot to keep wind out when comparing to a floorless shelter. Anyway, can’t say enough good things about it, and I think if you have that kind of money to invest, you’ll be really happy with it.

Jeff Gerke
    Spectator

@mtnrunner

Locale: Utah

Dan and Serge, thanks for the great info.  I have a TarpTent Stratospire 2 that I fit in with my wife and 13 year old son but it is tight.  Would like to find something lighter for the three of us and with a little more room. So far the Triplex is the only thing I found that fits the requirements I’m looking for.  The Ultramid 4 w/ insert has the room but more weight than I want to carry and way way way expensive.  My wife and son have to be totally enclosed.  They will not camp in a floorless shelter. Dan brought up a good point about head room in a mid. I have a MLD Duomid that I love.  My older son and I used it a lot when just the two of us went for a trip.  The main drawback was the lack of head room and that was without an insert.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools