Topic

Zpacks Bear Bag kit – small addition and weight questions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Zpacks Bear Bag kit – small addition and weight questions

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Zack Freije
    BPL Member

@oldskool

Locale: Ohio

I picked up a pair of Dutchware titanium toggles. I plan to use one instead of stick as is often recommended for setting the height of the bear bag. It is 4g.  The attached cord is 0.5g or less and I use it to keep the toggle attached to the kit so that it can’t be lost.

I looked at the carabiner to see if it could be reduced in weight by swapping to a Dutchware titanium ridgeline biner. As it turns out, it is the exact same weight as the one included with the Z-packs kit. (2.5-3g)

The biggest weight in the kit is the cord. I’m wondering if it makes any sense to swap this out? My concern is twofold: the cord needs to be strong enough to hold the weight of the food, and slide easily over tree branches without significant wear. Is there another option that is recommended, or is this honestly not worth it?

I recently picked up some super light cord from Z-Packs:

50 Feet 1.3 mm / Z-Line Slick , Color: Yellow
    Unit price: $6.95 USD

It is very light and I got to thinking it might be an option.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

I don’t think it’s worth looking for another cord. You want that slick finish so the line doesn’t cut into tree bark and hurt the tree and gets the line stuck.

Mike V
    BPL Member

@deadbox

Locale: Midwest

The bigger issue with a lighter/thinner cord is it becomes very painful/difficult to hoist with a substantial amount of weight on the line. If you don’t believe me try on a tree in your backyard to haul a 10 pound weight with the 1.3 mm cord versus the supplied cord.

Michael
    BPL Member

@tjayblues

Totally agree with Mike V.’s comment, I have used 2.2mm Z-ine Slick cord from ZPacks kit and would NOT go to anything thinner.

I find it mildly uncomfortable to haul up a food bag on night one of even a few day long trip. My delicate fingers just don’t like it.

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

Another vote to keep the thicker/heavier line. I have been using the LiteTrail HLine and been happy with it. I have a 50′ hank of some of Lawson’s bear line waiting to replace the HLine once it’s time (the HLine is no longer available as LiteTrail is no longer around – although, IMO, Lawson does some really great work with cord, and is who I typically send folks to when looking for cord). I tried some thinner ZLine and it just wasn’t as enjoyable to use… rougher on the hands, and likely the tree too.

Zack Freije
    BPL Member

@oldskool

Thanks for the input!

I’m still a little concerned that the drawstring might not hold up so great over time with the carabiner looped through. Was thinking about sewing a small loop of nylon web to the rock bag to loop the carabiner through when i throw it.

Zack Freije
    BPL Member

@oldskool

FWIW, the Z-Packs carabiner is 3.3g and the Dutchware Ti is 2.6g – Not that that should matter.

But at $2 instead of $6.25, the standard biner seems a better value.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools