Topic

Zpacks bathtub floor or flat ground sheet

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Zpacks bathtub floor or flat ground sheet

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Maria N
    BPL Member

@hilltackler42

So I just picked up a used hexamid twin. It’s got the mesh floor. Zpacks no longer makes the twin sized bathroom floor. So am I better off going with a solo plus bathtub floor or flat ground sheet?
    I live in the northeast and backpack in all sorts of weather. Not afraid of some splash but don’t want to be washed out with rain water either.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Bathtub floor for sure. But I hike where the soil is very thin. Runoff is a real issue. I’ve had water come streaming into my tent. A bathtub floor helps A LOT with that. Sure you can pick a good site but in conditions where this might occur–wet, cold, foul weather–you may be tired or your choices limited; or an unforseen eventuality like the trail above you overflowing and streaming into your tent may occur.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

I may be misremembering but I thought the Solo Plus and the Twin had the same footprint and thus the same bathtub groundsheet.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Highly recommend a “Twin-sized” groundsheet as it provides integrated dry storage space for clothing and small gear.

Erica R
    BPL Member

@erica_rcharter-net

I think you can make a bathtub floor or poncho to fit fairly easily. I can measure mine for you if you like. Question is, what material to use? The DCF poncho I have weighs over 6 oz.

Bob Seibert
    BPL Member

@bseibert

Agree with William. The Solo Plus bathtub floor should fit your tent. I use the poncho in my Solo Plus and wish I had the bath tub Solo Plus floor. You might consider adding some adhesive patches with clips to suspend the floor like they do in the Duplex. The existing clips in my Solo Plus still allow the opportunity for water to run down the netting to the edge of the floor and come inside rather than run underneath the ground sheet (or poncho).

Maria N
    BPL Member

@hilltackler42

I contacted Zpacks and they said the solo plus bathtub flooring would not accommodate two hikers. It will mostly be just myself using the tent and I guess if I had a second person I could just unattach it from the sides and use it as a ground sheet.
    I’m not very crafty so I don’t think I could make one on my own. Erica – how did you make yours?

Erica R
    BPL Member

@erica_rcharter-net

Actually I purchased the poncho from Zpacks at the same time as the Hexamid twin.

I really don’t consider the Hexamid twin a 2 person tent. It is spacious for one, and I think the additional volume helps with the condensation.

Jimmy Legs
    Spectator

@jimmy-legs

I have a zpacks twin sized bathtub floor. Once my Aeon is delivered in 2-3 weeks i plan on putting it up for sale. PM me if you’d like me to contact you when it is available.

Maria N
    BPL Member

@hilltackler42

Just sent you a PM

PaulW
    BPL Member

@peweg8

Locale: Western Colorado

If want to save some money, just use an over-sized piece of polycro. I have a Hexamid solo and the solo bathtub floor, but I find a larger piece of polycro to be more versatile especially in inclement weather and wind.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools